Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not full hydro

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Apr 13, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I did i little searching , didden't find anyone running this, unless this is kinda the same as willyswanter(jason) is running.
    Take a dubble sided ram:[​IMG] replace the tie rod.
    Still run draglink and steering box, plumb for hydro assist,
    would this still work?
    When you loose hydro presure, would you still be able to turn the wheels with just the box and draglink, or would the ram not move with out hydro presure?

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it using it in conjunction with the drag link would work. You could always carry a spare tie rod andd just go to no assist if it failed.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I don't think the box and the ram would move at the same rate.... which would put alot of stress on the box I would think? I dunno, I'm no expert.

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is exactly what Jason is running (willyswanter)

The double ended ram is actually just the hydro assist in that case. It seemed to work very well when he was with us in Upper Heldorado last fall.

I don't think he has had any problems with that system, I do belive he may have had some pump issues early on but got those cleared up.

Edit: The box would still turn the tires as long as the ram was not bent. You can always just pull the lines from the box and cap them if something should happen to the ram.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to replace your tie rod with all that and not have full hydro, hydro assist works well with just a single ended ram, not to mention that double ended ram isnt cheap and I wouldnt want to smack that on a rock.

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The reason to use an double ended ram is to keep the same force and speed from the ram going both directions.

When mounted correctly(Howe has a page showing the correct way to mount the ram and angles that are acceptable to them for the ram to mini tie rod) the ram is quite strong.

I mounted mine on my buggy and have had no problems with it. I have the least amount of ram to tierod angle that you can have. So far no bending problems here and I have tested it several times in rolls and hitting rocks at speed from the side.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Also in keeping with my "only wanting to buy things once" theme
    Farther down the road if i ever wanted to go full hydro, i already have one of the main components

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Because I was sick of bending tie rods and those dinky little rams... My 1.5" shaft ram doesn't move an milimiter, unlike the poor little 5/8" shafted ram I had before... Plus I only have 2 12" long tie rods open in the danger zone, the ram is neatly packed behind a 1/4" piece of plate with a 2" DOM tube under it.

I had a regular ps pump and it sucked so I went to a KRC pump and lifes been good :cool1:

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Thats cool I was just wondering the benefits :)