Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

not getting fuel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Jan 1, 2007.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine has an 89 chevy 1500 with a carbed 350 on it. he was coming home after a trip of about 2 hours. he made it home fine and went in his house for 10-15 minutes and came back out to leave again. except this time it didnt start.

it just cranked and slowly died. as if the battery was dieing. so he replaced the battery. now it just keeps cranking over and over.

made sure the plugs were gettin a spark and they were. so i dumped a little gas down the carb. and sure enough it fired and died.

im thinking fuel pump... but i dont know anyhting about carbs... could if be the carb? where should we start looking and how should i trouble shoot this?

thanks for any and all input

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

does it have fuel in the tank? after that I would disconnect the fuel line from the carb and crank the motor over. have something to catch the gas in cause an engine fire is no joke, I know. If the pump is working then you have a carb or filter problem. 89? that should be fuel injected.

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Has it been converted to a manual fuel pump or is it using the electric in tank pump with a regulator? If electric, check for voltage at the pump and let us know.

4. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

im assuming its still stock... and that would mean electric. so ill check for voltage. and im guessing that i can just pull the fuel line off the carb and crank it like gmc4cw said... if fuel comes out im good.... if not ill have to check and make sure the pump is gettin juice

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Next question. Are you sure it a carb and not TBI

6. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

99% sure its carbed... but i also dont know all that much about gassers... what would a TBI look like? the "carb" on there looks to be a 2 barrel with the round air filter sitting on top of it. when you hit the gas the "valves" open up to let in more fuel... cant really describe much else about it...

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats fuel injected. TBI stands for Throttle Body Injection. the throttle body looks a lot like a carb. if you pull the air filter you should see injectors on top shooting right down its throat.

8. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

:doah: :doah: wow... thanks... like i said... pretty much a noobie with these things. it looks nothing like the FI of my buddies 89 bronco... but i guess they are totaly different

9. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Check your ECM fuses. When you turn the ing switch on run, fuel should shoot out those injecters momentarily. Then when you are trying to start the truck fuel should be shooting out of the injectors. If this is not happening then first check all fuses with the ign switch in the run position and see if thats it. If they are good the check voltage to the pump.