Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not happy with POR15

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Sep 4, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Day1:
    Spent 1 full day prepping both doors (underside and lower outside) and rocker panels by sanding and grinding. Used Marine Clean, Metal Ready and rinsed as instructed. Let the whole thing dry over night.
    Day2:
    Coated all prepped parts with Grey POR15. Metal had a white zinc oxide coating as a result of Metal Ready before painting. Metal was dry as a bone. POR15 was lumpy and difficult to mix and use from the start. Applied 3 thin coatings as recommended with ample time between coatings. Let dry from 2pm to 10am next morning. After 2nd coating POR15 (in container) had bubbled and gelled making it very difficult to apply.
    Day3:
    Pretty foggy outside and I go to check out my rock-hard rust destroying paint. Turns out that some pin holes came through the paint for some reason. Pouring through each pin hole was rust! So much for that zinc oxide primer and rust destroying paint. Oh yea, the POR15 in the container is now solid and useless.

Spent a lot of time and money on this great stuff and am now pretty angry. Followed directions every step of the way. Has anyone who has actually used this product, have similar problems?

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I would write the company and tell them about it, you may have gotten a bad batch. I just used some last week on my truck and it went on great. It wasn't thick at all, in fact I thought it was a little thin compared to normal paint, even after mixing it thoroughly with a drill. It says in the instructions to put plastic wrap over the can before you put the top back on so it doesn't get "glued" on, and to only have the can open long enough to mix it and pour some into another container. I couldn't believe how much the humidity in the air affected the drying time, within the few minutes it took me to mix and pour some into a cup, the can got a thin skin on it. After I saw this I made sure I covered it REALLY quick everytime I used it and I never dumped any back into the can. Anyway, I'm starting to go on too much... I would call the company or write them if I were you, you must have gotten a bad can. If it was thick and lumpy when you got it the can probably wasn't sealed right. I'd be pissed too if that happened to me, $100 per gallon is expensive!

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Yes, I would call them you might have gotten a bad batch. Never have had any trouble with por-15. Have used it on several vehicles. If it got hard in the can it was not sealed tightly. I have had some extra in a pickle jar for about 2 weeks and it is still good. POR-15 does not destroy rust it seals out moisture so the part won't rust anymore. I usally just put on 2 coats and just clean the parts good with marine clean. Also suggest pouring it in a seperate container when using if you leave the can open it will start to harden. The more moisture in the air the quicker it will cure.

4. bosifus

bosifus Registered Member

A friend of mine worked for a specialty paints company and it sure does sound like you recieved a bad batch.I would contact them asap and inquire about it. There should be a batch number on the can so don't throw it out as they may need it.Good luck!

5. DaveBlazer

DaveBlazer Registered Member

Wow that blows. I just got mine last week and haven't put it on yet. It figures after I spend the money I hear something bad about it! I would definatly call them and complain I hope that they take care of it for ya. And I'm praying mine doesn't go that way. I'm still waiting on parts b4 I do mine. Let me know how it goes they really should send you another can.
    Good Luck
    Dave

[​IMG] BLAZER FEVER!! ITS CONTAGIOUS. [​IMG]
    <font color=yellow> 88 </font color=yellow><font color=black>K5<font color=black>

6. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I will call today and see what they say. Red flags should have gone up when I saw the stuff was lumpy, but I really did not know what to expect.

Good to hear that everyone who relplied was happy with the product. I hope to try it again, I am just concerned on how I am going to get the stuff off to repair it. Think I should just use the POR15-Epoxy Putty and cover all the pinholes?

Has anyone tried painting over POR15 after cure with standard primer? Will the primer or topcoat paint stick?

Thanks again...

86 K5 Blazer

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

according to everything that I have learned, you are supposed to paint a regular primer onto POR15 while it is still tacky if you want it to adhere and bond a regular paint to it.
    POR is short for Paint Over Rust as long as the rust isn't flaking off, I learned this after having all of my window regulator sandblasted so the paint would adhere, OH WELL.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

8. James

James 1/2 ton status

Just curious. How is por15 applied? sprayed, brushed, wiped?

9. Eric

Eric Registered Member

I painted it on with a regular paintbrush. Leveled out nicely and did not drip. Not sure how you would go about spraying it, my stuff was viscous from the start however this may not be typical as I may have had a bad batch.

86 K5 Blazer

10. Spanky

Spanky Registered Member

This is a reply to the spray question. I sprayed it using 40 pounds of pressure and no thinner?!? Came out great!

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I painted over mine with regular primer-sealer after it dried for a day. I scuffed it up with 220 grit paper along with the rest of the original paint and the primer and topcoat went on fine. You can't even tell there's anything there, it feathered perfectly. I did find out the hard way that it doesn't like to stick to paint, it peeled off very easily until it got to the bare metal/rusty areas. I don't think anything on this planet will get it off the bare metal or rust, this stuff is strong!

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org