Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not having much luck selling my '87 SWB...

Discussion in 'Complete Vehicles' started by thatK30guy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...and its got the stock 10 bolts front and rear with 3.73's.

I'm beginning to wonder if the truck will sell quicker and for a little more if I put 3/4 tons under it and some 15x10 steelies.

What do you guys think? Would this truck be worth a little more than with the stock 10 bolts? How much more would you ask on top of what you were asking for in stock form?

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I doubt it, cause most will still look at it as a 1/2 ton truck. Yah, someoen on here might offer more cause of the axles.....but 95% of the general public won't know the diference.

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Wanna trade for my K20?

4. thatK30guy

Sorry, can't as I have major credit card debt to pay off.

5. thatK30guy

What about eBay? People who look on there normally should know what they're looking for, so this stuff swapped in would make it better than a true half ton.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

how much are you asking for it? you got some good looking rims on it? that usually attracts ppl attention

7. thatK30guy

Here's pics of the truck. Its got the stock 10 bolts under it now. I'm looking at some 15x10 steel wheels but don't know how good they look. Doesn't matter, I can paint them.
    I'm thinking after swapping in the axles and putting on the 8 lug rims, somewhere around the $4-$5K range.

truck and mower 005.jpg

truck and mower 007.jpg

S5000221.JPG

S5000222.JPG

S5000223.JPG

8. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'd think twice about it. Unless you currently have the axles and have no other use for them. I don't think you would recoup the time and any money invested in an axle swap. Small easy things like new brake pads, doing a tune-up, taking care of a squeek, knocking off some dirt & grime. I just don't see where private individuals get any return on time invested and money put into something you are selling.

Everybody is looking for a bargain. Too chancy to find the buyer who is looking for your exact truck and has the money to pay for it.

9. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Not sure if those are current pics, but it might sell quicker if it had a good cleaning. Degrease the engine, maybe change the oil & oil filter & a new $5 Fram air filter, take some zip ties and clean up the wiring under the hood, definitely a new seat cover, wipe the interior down real good, and remove those pieces of moulding on the front fenders (makes the truck look pieced together). I wouldn't recommend going through the trouble of swapping axles and ending up with steel rims. Most people don't care about that and they'd rather have the aluminum rims anyways. Other than that I'm suprised there's no interest since it's got the 4 speed, TBI motor, newer front end, & it's a shortbed. A truck like that in this area would have sold in a day or two. Good luck!

10. thatK30guy

Here are pics of the small rust areas on this truck. The rest of the truck is in great, excellent condition. Even the paint under the body is still the factory gray color.

S5000224.JPG

S5000225.JPG

S5000226.JPG

S5000227.JPG

11. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

how much do you want for it the way it sits?

thanks
    pat

12. thatK30guy

I'd like $4K but we can work something out. (Hint: I'm looking for parts)

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

As it sits it looks like a $2000-2500 truck between the rust and body parts not matching. For time and money invested, attacking the cosmetic problems are going to net better returns than swapping the drivetrain parts if it doesn't have problems with the axles now (another words if its not broke, don't fix it).

14. thatK30guy

Kind of what I was wondering, too.

Now I may as well do the body work and preparations to get it down to Maaco in Wichita then.

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Clean it up and I think you will be looking at getting what you want out of it. Fred in AZ just sold a truck similar to this one that was beautiful for $3500. His was an '82 with a swapped front end so it didn't even have TBI and it sold fast.