Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not K5 related...but another cool project needs help (trans Q)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by botboy, Aug 22, 2006.

1. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Alright guys, sorry this is sorta offtopic but it's gonna be a cool project nonetheless.

I've got a '93 Caddie fleetwood that I picked up for a few hundo. For those who aren't in the know, a 93 caddie fleetwood has a 350 TBI in front of a 4l60 (4l60e's didn't come until '94 behind an LT1). This 350 TBI is the very same chev motor as put in the trucks and caprices and thus shares the same bellhousing pattern.

My fleetwood had (tis now removed) a roasted automatic tranny, and since I got the car for cheap, it runs good and I passionately hate autos, I want to put a 4 speed stick in it.

Now, my question is this - I picked up (from work) a GM NP A833 four speed. Because neither the caddie or caprice came in a manual configuration, I need to have a hydraulic bellhousing for the tranny so that I can run an aftermarket pedal setup and route whatever lines as needed - there's no provision for a Z-bar or mechanical pedal.

Since I love scrounging junkyards, I'm wondering what donor vehicle I should be looking for to get a bellhousing & slave cylinder from. A few potential donors (in no particular order) that I'd wonder about the possibility of bolting up to the A833:
    Mid-90's corvette/camaro/firebird/TA T56 hyd. bellhousing
    late-80's-early-90's NV4500 hyd. bellhousing
    late-80's-early-90's SM465 hyd. bellhousing
    early-90's S10 T-5 hyd. bellhousing

Anyone have any ideas about what will or won't work? The A833 seems to have the exact same GM bolt pattern as a saginaw 3 speed, but requires a larger opening for the round front shaft/bearing cover

Also, any suggestions about what I should throw on for a shifter? Presently I only have the A833 transmission and nothing else. And as far as flywheels, is there any differerence between the truck flywheel and camarotransmulletbird T56 flywheel?

Thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one bell might fit...

The early to mid 80's GM diesels used the A-833 mopar style tranny(with overdrive),and they had the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a 350..you'd have to be blessed to find one with a hydro clutch setup though (if they even made one?)...not sure about a flywheel,but I'm sure a 6.2 one won't fit a gas motor..perhaps one from a similar vintage 350 with a manual tranny will work..

I'm not too familiar with the other "late model" stuff like S-10's,etc,so I cant help much there..its entirely possible something else might work,but I'm not the one who can tell you that!...I'm fairly certain no other GM car or truck ever used the A-833 tranny, other than those 80's diesels though..:crazy:

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

look on Imapala SS forums. 6 speed swaps are pretty much the same, or maybe a 6 speed swap would be even cooler.

www.theherd.com comes to mind, though i dont know if its right or not.

4. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

a six speed swap would be cooler, but more dollar signs too and I don't have too many right now, thus the emphasis on junkyard parts (cheap ones at that)

Does anyone know if the T56 shares the same mounting pattern to the bellhousing as the other GM 4-speeds?