Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not Lotsa_Faith anymore....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

OK...so i finally get some cash to buy the blazer, i think itll help convice the guy if i go up and knock on his door and just hand him the money. WELL....i ring the doorbell, and when i hand him the cash and tell him what its for, he says "sorry dude, i sold it yesterday". i felt like i was going to cry.....BUT i am strong. so now im gonna build my own damn truck. im gonna find a STOCK blazer w/ a decent 350. i wanna run 38.5 SX's. you guy please tell me what ill need to do this and if your really nice, where to get the best deal. and also, would it be good to do a 6" suspension and 3" body? or just 8" suspension? thanx everyone, ill wipe my tears while i wait for replies. and i wana do all the drivetrain RIGHT so it wont break. i also want lockers. itll be a 84-91' blazer.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well that sucks canal water man... I'm sorry I have been in your shoes many of times. First off I would look to find a Blazer w/ a good body and paint. Most times this kind of work adds up a lot faster price wise, but then that is if you want a decent looking rig. Next I would recomend the 6 and three setup just because w/ an 8" lift you are probably looking at 2 custom driveshafts, cut and turning the frt axle and possibly the rear... I would recommend BDS springs and probably some rancho 9000's w/ 3/4 ton axles depending on what kind of wheeling you'll do. I personanlly like my 1/2 ton stuff, but I may even go to 3/4 ton axles.

Just a word of warning... the build up will be a long, costly, and frustrating process, but at least this way you can say you Built it, not bought it! [​IMG] Plus you know it is done right... Good luck.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Fill in your profile. How can we hook you up with good deals if we don't know where.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From what I've seen lately and what i plan for my own Blazer project less lift with bigger rubber seems to be the hot ticket. Having a lower center on gravity is a really big bonus as well as more simplicty getting the lift to work well. I plan on 38.5 SX's as well...with a 4" suspension and 1" body lift. Trimming the sheetmetal will be mandatory but they will fit! [​IMG]

Good luck with your search!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

38.5s under just 4"? And I'm thinking if my 35x14.5x15s will fit under 4". Guess I have to drop the 6" lift desire and settle for 4" and trimming. Will 14.5" clear the frame in turning?

"1988 K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

6. Lotsa_Faith

i don't really want to hack on the fenders. i won't be doing very much hill or rock crawling, just mud and driving to school and back. ok to put 8-9" or lift, what all will i have to replace other than the suspension? like steering components and lines and all that.

Mike Dee

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Well, I can help you out A LOT! I have a 9" suspension on my '88 K5. That's right, a 9" SUSPENSION! If you are wanting a 9" total lift, then it's really a toss up on how to do it. I have 8" Skyjacker springs front and rear, with 1" ORD add-a-leafs. The only reason why I went with a suspension lift was so that I could drop my 3" body lift on it when I went to 40's. If you go with a suspension, your driveline is going to be the biggest problem. These are the things that I had to do to make sure things worked:

2" drop pitman arm
    2" drop draglignk
    4" steering arm
    t-case drop
    2.5 degree shims in the front
    6 degree shims in the rear
    4" sway bar drop brackets
    extended brakelines
    The driveshafts are up to you.

I just had my rear driveshaft lengthened and that was has worked fine for me. I also had the front one lengthened and had to grind on the CV where it would bind up. The shims work really well, unless you just want to cut and reweld your spring perches. I have helped a lot of guys make decisions on this subject. Overall, it's really up to you. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me or send me a private message. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I'm running 16-38.5-15 TSL's with now rub at all.

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I know where there is a white K5...6"....big tires/chrome mods.....fairly good body...looks like a 79 type body style....just seen it parked on a corner on the way to work, haven't really looked it over very well....it's in Greenville...says $5500 on the windshield.....drop me a PM and I'll give you my number in McKinney.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What I'll tell you, is that in this market, if you take a stock, nice shape Blazer, and do what you are considering, more than likely, you won't get anything near what you paid for it, if you ever decide to sell it. I know people say "I'm never going to sell my vehicle" but more often than not that doesn't end up being the case.

My advice would be to find a Blazer that already has some mods done to it, because more thna likely, they won't have an easy time selling it for what they are asking. Besides, typically, you only get 1/2 of what you have put into a vehicle when you try to sell it. Paid $1000 for tires, only going to add $500, etc. Just my opinion, but as a "for instance" my friend just paid $4000 for a MINT K5, and proceeded to demolish it. He'll be lucky to get $1000 out of it now, even though it has a brand new engine and tranny in it. He could've paid $500 for a beat up K5 in the first place, and not lost any money on the deal. Trail rigs aren't pretty, and you shouldn't pay for a straight one when its only gonna end up wasted.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

10. Lotsa_Faith

well i don't PLAN on lettin mine get all banged up, but it might. and thanks but no thanks jimmy, my parents arent too serious about getting me a vehicle yet.

Mike Dee

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep. Just saying if you are going to take it off road, it WILL get banged up. Even a nice paint job will be destroyed in short order from tree branches (and I'm only going fishing!) If you are going to be using it to wheel, there is no reason to pay for looks, which is all you are paying for on a straight, stock truck.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

12. Lotsa_Faith

well, my cousins truck im looking at right now is pretty straight, but the paint job is the original and its in bad shape, s,o i don't have any worries about scratching the paint.

Mike Dee