Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not sure where to go with this... Cummins 4BT swap in 70 K5... Updated and Side-noted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Aug 30, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Since Turbo Dieser Register is closed to new registration, I can't post there, and since the Cummins isn't a GM Diesel, I didn't feel it appropriate to post this in the Diesel forum either. Anyway, I am planning to just get a 4BT for the 70 K5 as soon as I get it rather than rebuilding my other engines or even freshenning up the one thats in it. In fact, I'm attempting to get a guy to trade me my 356, 327 block, and the 350 out of the k5 for a partial deposit on a 4BT.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I have absolutely no idea what I should be getting when I buy this motor. If I were putting this in my 86, I'd already have all the answers, but because it's in a 70 K5, I have no idea where to go with it. Should I get 12v or 24v, do I need to upgrade my radiator or fan? Basically, I'm looking for a walkthrough for the complete installation on a first gen Blazer. I understand that I will likely ruin any resale value my new Blazer may have, but I can always put a 350 back in it if I ever decide to sell it.

Really, there are 2 reasons for me to do this swap.... reason one is that gas prices are unbearable, and reason two is that my shop will likely be producing BioDiesel within the next 6 months, which we would be doing for about $0.70 a gallon our cost. With my farm hookups, we could likely get it for less than that even, but I'm not sure yet. So with that, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Please, no suggestions that I not do the swap... I'll make that decision on my own if I need to. I'm planning to do 90% of the work myself, and I'll have shop time to do it, so I don't need to ****** Rig anything in the way of install helpers. I can literally pull the front clip apart if I need to .

While I'm at it, I might as well mate the 4BT up to an SM465, so if anyone has any suggestions on where to get any needed adaptors, that would be cool too. I also need info on where to find Cummins performance parts to bomb this thing... I'd like to get 20mpg on the highway, 15 or so in town, but still be able to blip the throttle and make heads turn.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Not to sure on a 70 model but for newer models most people use motor mounts and trans adapters from P-30 step vans that came with the 4BT. For a radiator You would probably be fine with a 4 core from a big block or 6.2 truck. Good luck on the motor mounts and trans adapter since they are rare and getting popular.
    I find it funny that around here everyone is parking their diesel trucks since deisel is $3.25 a gal, $0.25 more than reguler

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Read my post sticky "cummins in a chevy" in the top of the diesel forum....

other members have done this exact swap..... and most of the info is there

4. PhoenixZorn

cams, didn't you do a 6BT in your beast? I know they are functionally the same, but physically, very different. I will not have access to a P30 Bread van for this, I will be buying a motor from a guy who just rebuilds diesel motors for a living and happens to have a bunch of 4BTs available. I'll re-read your swap post... I've read it through a few times so far, and maybe I'll get a refresher course on the swap.

What to do about the 1970 issue though... most guys do a cummins swap on mid-80s to early-90s trucks, but no word on a first get swap.

While the write-up you did for second gen trucks is well written and quite informational, there really is no progress pictures, and no explanation of the install itself, only of what parts you think you should use, then a completed picture.

What I need is pictures of a swap into a GM or Chevy engine bay, so I can see what needs to be done to make everything fit. I know I need an adaptor to mate up to my TH-350 trans or my SM465 trans, and I know I need a different clutch plate or flywheel more than likely if I do end up using the stick. I know the engine needs to be tilted 10* for proper fit, but I don't yet know where to get motor mounts, or what it should look like along the way. TDR.com doesn't help much, since most of the guys in the Conversion forum are doing Dodge Gasser to Diesel conversions, not Chevy gasser to Cummins swaps, and especially not first gen Blazers/second gen pick-ups. I realized after re-reading your sticky post again, that I just read it yesterday or the day before, and it didn't help, which is why I started this thread.

Installing the Cummins line in a later model GM or Chevy seems a bit easier than what I want to do because there are absolutely no electronics in a 1970 Blazer... I don't know if a Cummins really needs to be hooked up to a computer system in a newer application, or if it would even work if you did hook it up, but I know it's still different from my application. Hell, I may be over thinking the whole project, and being that there are no electronics, it may very well be just a plain old drop in, connect the battery, and go with it. If that is the case, great... I don't need any more help than that other than where to get parts, and it will be an easy job. Otherwise, I need more help than you can imagine.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  5. PhoenixZorn

6. '71k204x4454

'71k204x4454 Registered Member

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

youre right...the post is about second gens... there was a member that did the 4bt swap...and i thought he posted pics (Ill have to re-look) ... he would be the best resource for you...
    I think a call to jamie at the diesel depot would be in order,,, he sells a lot of 4bts and adapters... I bet he knows of some people that have done gen one conversions...his info is in the post

cam

8. PhoenixZorn

Update... the bank said I could 99% get the money for the truck, but nothing extra for the diesel swap, even though it would benefit the bank as much as it would benefit me and my wallet. So I guess I'll have to come up with the cash on my own... no biggie...

Side note... The 82 Diesel Burb that I was interested in a few months ago was diagnosed this weekend. Turns out it's just the T-case that is bad in it, it drives in 4 Lo all day, but 4 Hi and 2 Hi don't work.... If I'm not mistaken, that would be an NP208 attached to that 700R4, but I'm not sure... I'll be searching the boards for a t-case soon unless I don't get the 70 Blazer, in which case I'll just use the SM465 and NP208 from the burned truck.