Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not sure where to hook-up heater hose?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scott A, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

I sure would like my heater to work... Can someone tell me where to hook-up these 2 hoses on my 83 Blazer 6.2L Diesel... It was like this when I bought it.

[​IMG]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

See the heater hose that runs from the intake to the radiator? That is connecting the two fittings together that need to run to your heater core.

Get yourself a 5 foot piece of 5/8" and a 5 footer of 3/4. Run the 5/8" from the intake to the heater core's smaller tube and run the 3/4" from the larger heater core tube to the radiator and you'll have heat!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You should fill out your profile. I was just wondering what part of the country you are from? Was the PO from the same part of the country? Does it get cold there? I would be asking myself why he bypassed the heater core. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It don't sound good. Also one of the heater hoses can be hooked to the waterpump instead of the radiator and you will get more heat. Then you take the hose coming off the radiator and put a plug or bolt and silicone and hose clamp it in with a 3" long peice of heater hose. I'd get the plug from the parts store.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Since that radiator part is the return line for the heater core, I can't see how you'd get more heat hooking it to the water pump. Either way the hot water is coming from the intake, that side is simply a return.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hope it isn't disconnected like mine is because my motor gets hot with the hose connected to the core, don't have it figured out yet.

6. cybrfire

seemed to make a little difference on mine but I can't say I took measurements. Just felt warmer. Probably makes the engine run a little warmer.

7. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I have my return line on the radiator. I have in the past put it on the water pump and the engine ran a lot warmer. Once I bo0ut my service manual, I found out that trucks with auto trannies had the return line on the radiator. Maunal's have it on the water pump. Until then I didn't understand why some people had the return line it the different location. Never occured to me, the tranny cooler.

8. cybrfire

Maybe that is something you could do in the winter and then switch back if your engine runs too cool. Like the cardboard in front of the radiator, just looks nicer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks to '84_Chevy_K10' I got it hooked up. But, when I turned the heat on it was dripping on the passenger side floor?? So, I turned the heat off and the dripping stopped... Any suggestions?

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sound like you need a heater core, that explanes the bypass

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmmmm...... I'm willing to bet that the PO didn't feel like replacing the heater core so he simply eliminated it from the system. You guys in CA don't need heat anyways... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Are you sure the leak stopped when you turned off the heat? Normally a cracked or leaking heater core will leak regardless of whether the heat is on or not..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys in CA don't need heat anyways... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Bull sh!t, it's like 38 degrees outside with the wind blowing like crazy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Heck that's a warm winter day around here, time to get out the shorts for that.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

Yes, the dripping stopped when I turned heater controls to off...