Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not trying to steal anyone's thunder but....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Mar 4, 2003.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Not trying to steal anyone\'s thunder but....

I am making a heavy duty tie rod for my rig similar to the Rockstomper units. Here's the deal. I can get better pricing on the tube the more I buy. I will be using the 1 1/4" x .219 tube. I will be using (1) right hand ends, and (1) left hand end. If I can get some folks to go in on the material with me, I can get them drilled and tapped and ready for the ends. I will supply you with the tie rod part # so you can then install it as you get the $$. The total cost of the machined and threaded tube should be less than $50. The tie rod ends are about $25 each from Napa. That means a heavy duty tie rod for right around $100. Any takers? I will be doing this anyway, but I figured I would see if anyone else wanted in on the deal. I will probably be making them next week if I can get the tap from Shane/Kenny. No not me...the other one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: Not trying to steal anyone\'s thunder but....

What size thread are you using? If you plan to use the std GM ends I know there is a guy on the OBH list with both RH and LH taps.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The thread is the standard GM 7/8 x 18 tpi. Since the left hand thread is so expensive, I was just going to use (2) right side ends. I'd use the left hand thread if I could get my hands on one.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Funny you should bring this up..........I want one. Firm order - and I'll be ready for it any time you are done. I was gonna order a Rockstomper Rock Rod (like I put on my K5) but no need on the Burb. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Get the LH tap and I'm in..........

Let me know...........

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

IT would be better if you got the left hand tap. Doing a alingment would suck with two right had tie rod ends it would be a guessing game and the alingment tech would not be happy.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks to Kenny, we will have the correct taps both left and right hand thread. Kenny YOU ARE THE MAN!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

I hope to start producing these within the next week. It depends on how fast Kenny can get the taps. Kenny PM me with shipping costs so I can cover them.

Also, just so everyone knows, the guy who will be doing the machining builds custom cars, trucks and hot rods. His work is VERY meticulous. These will look GREAT and be VERY functional too.

I will be building a first proto type. I'll take pics for everyone to see and then if people are interested I'll start taking orders.

Frank & Kenny, if you trust me, I'll make yours at the same time I do mine.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    the guy who will be doing the machining builds custom cars, trucks and hot rods. His work is VERY meticulous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Machining? I thought you were talking about taping the end of a piece of DOM tubing /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif No machining required here. A monkey can tap a straight hole if the pilot is the right diameter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The guy willing to loan out the taps is leaving on vacation and said he would be able to look for the taps the weekend of March 15th when he gets back.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Shane, I trusted you with my life installing the lift on the Burb.........OF COURSE I trust you! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Count me in as a firm order.......if you need the $$ up front let me know.

Great timing, I was going to order a Rock Rod TODAY.........no more! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Machining? I thought you were talking about taping the end of a piece of DOM tubing No machining required here. A monkey can tap a straight hole if the pilot is the right diameter

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I am a perfectionist. Also the dom tube needs to the ID bored out so it can be tapped. I want the bore and tap to be PERFECT. Also, the lengths of tube will be rough cut and I want them milled so that the jamb nuts will seat correctly against them. So, that is why I am having them machined.

[ QUOTE ]
    The guy willing to loan out the taps is leaving on vacation and said he would be able to look for the taps the weekend of March 15th when he gets back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll take it however I can get it. The bad part is, that I will be out of town from 3/17 thru 3/28. If I'm lucky, I'll be home the first week of April. I can try to get them done that week if I can get the taps somehow. I have a very short window to do this as I most likely have another back surgery coming up /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. That will keep me out of comission for months before I can work on anything with any kind of weight to it (even 20#'s will be too heavy for awhile) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna be needing one too once I get my steering arm.
    Crossover time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif also may need a new tie rod, need more beef.

-Jeremy

11. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll take one if it is the correct left hand/ right hand threading. Just tell me when and where to send the cash. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What will you use for the LH side for a Tie rod end?

Don't most "hardcore" people use two RH Tie rod ends from a Dana 60?

Would someone also explain to me why it would be harder to align a rig with two RH Tie Rod ends? (I'd imagine you would just have to think a bit harder and turn one wrench opposite the other /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I will be using a left hand and a right hand tie rod end. These are beefy ends for a D44 (same part works for a 10 bolt. I can't use the ends for a D60 because then the knuckles would have to be re-tapered. These are the exact same ends that others use in their set ups. The reason it is mor difficult w/ 2 right hand ends is because as you turn the tube to adjust one end will thread in, and one end will thread out. When you use a left and a right hand end, as you turn the tube they will both thread in or out equally depending on which way you rotate the tube.

When aligning, you want each end to thread in and out in equal amounts. This spreads the force through the part evenly. You want an equal amount of thread exposed on each end mainly for strength purposes.

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You got it! I just need to know if you want the tube only, or if you want a complete unit?? It'll probably be at least a month before I can get all of them made (mainly due to work travel schedule). Sorry! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That makes a total of 5 so far, I think. I'll have to recount /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I am waiting on the taps to get here.

15. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I thought I read somewhere that people were using Dana 60 TRE from a Dodge, because they don't have the steering dampener hole on them and they are left hand thread - does anyone know if this is true -

Josh or Shannon - you both have Dodge D60s - how about it?

16. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ok i just bought a tie rod from 4x4 iron with rh threads on both ends...cause it was cheaper...works fine just hafta remove the tre from the knuckle to adjust it...took me like 20 minutes to get the toe set....thats all.

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

how much are the rock stomper units they sound exspensive, I am interested too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

They run anywhere from $155 to $200. Like I said, I am NOT trying to steal business from Rockstomper or anyone else, nor am I trying to start a business. It's just that it's no big deal for me to make up several once I get the lathe all set up and going.

BTW, just so everyone knows, these are going to be unpainted units. You can paint 'em any color you want once you get them! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

My TRE's do not have a hole for a stabilizer,

20. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

shane did i read correctly that you cannot make tierods for dana 60s?