Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not your average Autozone Idiot post...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by B_to_C, Apr 29, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

So yesterday was another "keep chugging along rebuillding the Dana 60" day. I assume everyone HERE knows what a chevy front dana 60 is: a front 4wd KINGPIN axle used in one ton chevy trucks for over a decade...

APPARENTLY that is not common knowledge, even among the highly trained counterperson's that we all so lovingly talk about on these forums. So here's the story...

Me and Mrk5 went to install the kingpins...I've read that they need to be torqued to 600ft. lbs, so we whipped out the 3 ft. cheater bar and had at it....we ended up braking the kingpin :eek1: :o ...so the search was on to find a new kingpin (single kingpin, I had gotten the new ones we were installing in the "king pin rebuild kit" that is sold all over the 4x4 interweb) I figure, "hey, this might not be so bad, they may even have them at the local parts store"

So I call up carquest, this guy knows what a kingpin is (highest quality atuo-shop in town, nothing but praise for the people who work there) but he can't find it in his catalogue anywhere, says he'll call me back after looking deeper...

Call up checkers "(After telling him "ONE TON CHEVY PICKUP 1984 KINGPIN FOR FRONT 4WD AXLE" about four times) He says "You must be wrong, that doesn't come up in our computers...

Call up NAPA....here's the funniest part of that conversation:
    Me: No, it's not 2wd, it's a 4wd, 1984 chevy one ton pickup truck...
    Guy: No, they don't have kingpins
    M: yes they do
    G: no they don't, it's not in the catalog, kingpins only come up for two wheel drive
    M: sir, i guarantee you my axle has a kingpin i have a broken one to prove it
    G: No, you must be talking about an upper ball joint
    M: no, I'm not talking about an upper ball joint, i am talking about a kingpin for my CHEVY DANA 60 AXLE
    G: Na, what you're thinking of is a ball joint
    M: DO YOU KNOW WHAT A KINGPIN IS? (getting frustrated at this point)
    G: Yea, they use it on 2wd trucks, it goes all the way through the axle
    M: (explain exactly what a kinpin is, what it looks like, and again, could he please look it up...
    G: Na, you must be thinking of a ball joint
    M: Thanks for all your help (click)

So then I started calling 4wd shops, thinking they might at least know what the hell a kingpin is. Oh yea, the carquest guy checked into it and told me that moog had stopped making them and they don't carry them anymore

none of the 4wd shops I called could get their hands on one single king pin, just the entire rebuild kits, if anything at all...

Called up the chevy dealership, took a little bit of talking but the parts guy understood the part i needed....looked it up and found ONE dealer in the country (in cali) that had one in stock...$65

Through talking with the 4wd shops, one of their suppliers names slipped out, "Drive train industries" out of denver (the only CO spicer dealer apparently, I dunno if they're wholesale or what)...after navigating through their entire switchboard i got in contact with someone who knew what a kingpin was, was able to look up a price ($11) but as he was saying he would have to check with spicer....my phone got disconnected...

So I call them back, frantically trying to find the guy that i was just talking with. Never did find him but was hooked up with a really nice guy named frank...he again looked up the kingpin in their computer, took my number, and said he would get back to me on how long it would take for them to have one ready for me...

This came after 1.5 hours of working the phones trying to find this...i was so releaved

2 more hours go by with no call from frank...I started to get worried.

I finally got a call, apparently he had been doing research for the last 2 HOURS on getting me a single king pin. Apparently spicer has a 128 day lead time on them, so he managed to track down a couple in oklahoma city or something. "When can I get them" i asked.."Tuesday if you want to pay for UPS shipping" "No problem!" I said....

So tuesday I should have my $11 kingpin, thanks to frank, my savior.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, at least the correct part is on its way. I hope. One of my parts store favorites is that my blazer does not take a 1410 joint. They swear up and down it's a 1310 until I make them get one and compare it to the u-joint on my truck. It's getting tougher and tougher to find good help in parts stores.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Haha good story. Gotta love the parts store experts:D

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hey Nick, I left a Powerpuff on your diff. :haha:

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn... you need a six-states distributors. They know exactly what a kingpin is and can order/get ANY part for ANY d60.

j

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Exactly! if you need a hard part for any axle, I don't even bother with my friendly neighborhood checker freaks, straight to six states, no problems, and even a complete fabrication shop and driveline repair facility on site. Plus absolutly the best customer service around, anywhere!:bow:

7. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I would expect nothing less :rolleyes:

8. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Glad that you found someone that knows a little something. Its sad here also, I deal with the two chicks at the parts store. They know more than the guys and they have.....................you know...............stuff to stare at.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

MMMM Boobies....
    -Harrison

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I luvs em!!! Especially when they are attached to someone that talks "truck parts" to me!

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

we've got one here like that. little bitty thing, cute as hell. too bad my "tan" isnt good enough, if you get my drift.

12. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Dude.. I got 2 new ones in my garage!! If you need 1 come and get it.

13. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I would have looked at the "balljoint" or had him pull it and describe it.

The computer system we had at Trak Auto just had general categories and part descriptions. Since it is common to have a balljoint and not a kingpin, the computer programmer probably just lumped everything into a large category and called them all "balljoints."

A good example would be a F*rd T*urus. It said it had 4 available engine sizes. In reality it had only 3, one was found only in the SHO. The computer did not have a distict category for that.

Yes, the counterman should have known better, or listened to your obvious knowledge, and his misinterpretation of a spindle instead of a kingpin caused some headaches insead of helping. Usually just be calm and explain how they are wrong, try not to get angry, and imply that the computer could be wrong.

When people would get all angry and yell at me saying I had no idea what I was doing, I would ignore them and not help them further. It was funny that this guy screamed inches from my face telling me I gave him the wrong caliper and I had no idea how to read a computer screen, and he came in later and said very sofly, "Oh, its a L*ncoln Continental, not a Town Car."

Sorry for the long post, I get just as fed up with those people too, and I can probably find the parts faster and correctly the first time.

In conclusion, probably wouldnt have had it though. I know we didnt.