Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

not your normal u joint question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Sep 23, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i just recently replaced the rear yoke on my 10 bolt, and put in a POS napa u joint, along with a new set of bands and bolts. after about 3k the darn u joint is sloping around in the yoke and it feels worn out too. my next u joint is going to be a spicer, my question is: has any one heard of yokes wearing out his fast, or u joints being the wrong diameter at the caps? any help or suggestions would be great.

thanks
    ~~~ jeff /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

are you sure it was the right size?

I had a conversion joint that wsnt big enough on the big end .. I didn't notice till my buddy put in the rear shaft and I gave it a shake.

when I got the right one it had to be stuffed into the hole. It is so tight it feels like the whole thing shouldn't be moveable.

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

It's the Crappa u joint, trust me.

Spicer is a wise decision

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Chevy did use different sized caps for a few years, I run into this with my '87. Best bet is to take them in to the store with you.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

different size as in the known series sizes differences, or do you mean differences in fraction of an inch ?
    i have seen a coupel instances of loose cap in yoke problem,. tighten strap bolts completely and the cap stil be loose in the yoke,,, like by 1/32" of an inch..
    cant get spicer joints around here,... thats probably the problem,.., really sad quality cotrol practice probably.. hmm..

good luck.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author