Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Not your typical U-Joint Conversion Question (UPDATE!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Jul 4, 2003.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

See bottom post

Through numerous searches I have determined that I have a 1330-F U-joint in my 1983 GMC Jimmy. I have swapped some axles around and now have a 1989 10 bolt in the back. It is a 1330 U-joint.

The 1330-F joint has 1.188 caps and is 3.625 wide.

The 1330 joint has 1.062 caps and is 3.625 wide.

Same width just different cap sizes.

Does anyone know if there is a conversion joint out there that will make this work... If not do I need a new driveshaft?

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: Not your typical U-Joint Conversion Question (already searched)

did anyone save my spicer ujoint part book scans before webshots deleted them.
    the conversion pages were amongst them

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

just take one of each cap to the parts store and make em start opening boxes till you get a match. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think the Tech page on Pirate has the Spicer catalog in Adobe format. If you decide to DL, I hope you've got broadband... I DL'd the CUCV tech manuals, and at 200-300 KB/sec, it still took like 10 minutes.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Nothin' yet /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

UPDATE!

This is what I found out. On my 1983 GMC Jimmy, I have the following.

My original driveshaft has 1350 size U-joints on each end. Funny, yes, but all I can figure is that because it was a manual tranny truck it came with the larger ujoint.

The 10 bolt that was orginally in the truck was a 1350 size ujoint. Swapping in the later 10 bolt switched it to a Saginaw 44 joint. This is the joint that is in most K5's withnot the 1330 or 1310 for the rear

I ended up using a Napa 447 because it mated the 1350 driveshaft to the Saginaw 44 yoke on the axle. Note this is also the common joint used to mate a 14bolt to the factory driveshaft in most 10bolt blazers. I just ended up using it the other way.

On a side note... I did get it installed, then not 10 minutes later broke the joint and the yoke on the driveshaft. So now I need a new driveshaft and ujoint. Arrrgh!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW dont run low range on dry pavement and floor it with 570lb ft of torque. It breaks new ujoints.

So now I will post in the wanted section for a used d-shaft.

Thanks to all that responded,
    John