Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Note to self: wear safety glasses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Jan 22, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, Ive been working on the Blazer for a few weeks now, grinding and welding and such. Ill post some pics when Im done.

Anyway, while I was in the house taking a break, and I thought I felt something in my eye. I never felt it before that. I did most of the grinding weraring safety goggles, but a few times I didnt, usually when I had the welding helmet on. No problem I thought, It'l come out. Its probably just dirt. Well, three days later, today, I had to go to the ER cause no one is open in the snow on a Saturday.

The doctor put in numbing drops and had top use a needle to scrape most of it out. Since I waited to long, te eye healed over some of it, and it had to be extracted with something that resembled a Dremel tool. Damn. You should have seem my face.

Well, now im in quite a bit of pain, cant really work on the Blazer, see to type, cant look down to well, and behind schedule on a list of stuff I gotta do before I go back to school. Atleast I got some Vicodin out of it :D.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

been there done that like 5 times

sucks, i know i could never get a MRI

the eye will grow over the metel and after time you can acumalate a lot of steel in there and a mri would rip it all out of you face!!!!

i dont want that, so hopefully i wont need an MRI

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i learned my lesson at 19.. turned out to be a rustring from some metal.. who woulda thought your eye could rust :rolleyes:

they did the whole diegrinder, buff thing.. it sucked and it'll never happen again...

4. k5blazin

k5blazin 1/2 ton status

Ive had that happen once while putting an exhaust on my blazer. i thought it would fall out soon enough too, but after 4 hours i couldnt open my eye anymore. i went to some arab eye doctor and he gave me some numbing drops and he flipped open my eye lid and there was the little peice of metal. he took it out with some tweezers and ive been fine ever since. i got lucky though that it wasnt in my eye, just the eye lid. i always wear safty glasses now.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my stepdad had this happen with a piece of wire brush from bench grinder a long time ago, and ive been super damned lucky that i havent had anything like this happen, ive risked it ALOT and still do sometimes

and i shouldnt be risking it, especially with no job or insurance or anything

hum

but still..

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I had some metal in my eye once that started to rust also. Never again!

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Me too!

I am guilty of not wearing safety glasses too--since I have prescription glasses,I have a hard time using them,and goggles and face sheilds are not much more than vision blockers,and are cumbersome to use--

When I was working in a parts stores machine shop,I was putting a u-joint in a driveshaft,and when I put it in the press and applied pressure,one of the caps blew apart,and I got a good sliver in my eye,but didnt notice right away,since some much larger chunks were imbedded in my navel and it was bleeding!--2 days later I had to go have the needle and dremel tool deal too--it wasnt easy driving home with those eyedrops,and only one eye,the "dead" one covered with a pirate patch..
    .I've gotten stuff in my eyes since,but I was lucky that it came out without going to an eye doctor..I'm stupid for not wearing them-- I'm so blind already,I always have to take my other glasses off too see up close now,and that only increases the chances of getting another metal chip in my eyes..and no insurance too..One of the worst "eyeaches" I had was when brake fluid squirted in my eye when bench bleeding a master cylinder --that REALLY sucked too!:crazy:

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Not K5 related, but I thought I'd share.

I worked for about 7 years at an aluminum casting foundry. I was working on the casting trim line one day, taking the flash off of a dodge V10 cylinder head casting. This SOB weighed a ton with most of the core still in it, and I wasn't doing this on a bench with a dremel, I was using a stationary sander with a 30 grit belt.. anyway, I was taking the flash off the intake ports, holding it up with my body weight, when a piece of the casting flew off, bounced off my chest, bounced off the inside of my safety shield, and then flew under my safety glasses, and into my eye.. then the belt snapped and smacked me good. I had to have the eye drilled, which hurt like hell when those drops wore off, as some of ya know.

Even taking every precaution you know to do can't stop the crazy stuff from happening.

Tom

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year. Grinding on a buddies truck, wearing glasses, thought I had some dust in my eye or something, neglected it for about three days. Went to the eye doc, and they had to pick, scrape, and dremel out what they could, but (it was a rusty sliver of metal) it was starting to spread rust in my retina. I had to go back three days later for them to scrape more out as the rust surfaced on my eyeball.

To this day, my vision still isn't the same as it had been. I'm kinda pissed off about it, 'cause my vision used to me PERFECT - I could read stuff on road signs from a mile or more away. Scary to think that you could lessen or even lose your vision at any time.... :(

10. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Ive been taught to always wear safety glasses but i dont do it at home unless im grinding. Ill wear them when im under the truck too cuz theres always rust, dirt and crap falling down and it always goes for my eyes:yikes: After working on stuff for a year, then looking at my glasses im glad i wear them.

Later

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been wearing saftey glasses, but I am going to have to get some goggles. I actually had stuff get in under the glasses two weeks ago. Washed out, but its just not worth it.

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Sad thing is, safety glasses just stop the debris from going directly into your eyes. If you do a lot of grinding, get a wet towel and wipe around your face, because all the loose material can fall into your eye's, been there done that, and it sucks going to the emergency room after work and trying to explain to your boss that is was work related.:mad:

Being that I am in construction, there aren't working sinks around that I can do that with. I have to soak a rag with the water coming out of the water spicket.

13. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I like to use a face shield when I grind! safety glasses on quick stuff but I prefer a face shield, especially if using a wire wheel.

14. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I work under my truck I always have safety glasses on too. I've got a set that hug my face fairly tight, so stuff doesn't fly in the sides. If you keep them well buffed, they don't hinder your vision at all, and can save you from some situations that would have been particuarly nasty :cool1:

15. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Same here. I love my eye sight and my eyes. Wife thinks its funny that I don't do anything under the truck without my glasses. Grinding, I will search for 20 minutes for my glasses to do a quick 30 second grind. I can't stand for anything being near my eyes, like a finger or someone touching me around them. Yeah think its weird but I love my sight and a stupid mistake will not take it away.

Sorry to hear about your visit to the ER.

16. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I should by all rights be blind as a bat by now, I have damaged my eyes more times than I care to think about.
    Almost all work related.
    When I was working in the woods I lost my footing and fell face first onto a sharp stick. It went in the lower lid, scratched my eye and came out the top lid and stuck in my brow. I thought for sure I was gonna be blind in that eye.
    I pulled myself off it and the dude behind me said he couldn't see my eyeball.
    The top lid had fallen over my eye and it was bleeding pretty good, so of corse I thought I was blind.
    Got a few stiches and some ointment and a patch, got to work in the shop on light duty for a week.
    When I was working at a body shop the other painter had left a pot on the upper shelf full of laquer thinner, it got dumped right into both of my eyes.
    That realy friggin sucked. gettin that stuff on your skin burns bad enough and if ya drop a screwdiver in the cleaning tank it will dissolve the handle overnight.
    That hurt like hell for 12 hrs or so and it took nearly 8 before I could see more than a gray haze.
    That was freaky experiance.
    I've had brake fluid, brake clean, carb cleaner ya name it splash in my eyes under glasses, that stuff hurts too.
    Welding and torch spatter, wire wheel bristles.
    I have had a chunk of aluminum stuck in the very edge of my eyelid since 94.
    I was bucking rivets on a panel and a peice of the rivet emedded itself in it.
    That kinda hurt too
    I oughta be blind.

These are the ones I use at work now. http://www.uvex.com/pages/products/goggles/futura.html

These work great, I wear glasses and these are the best fitting ones I have ever used, They seal to your face and leave no gap around the edges.
    I work on dump trucks and such and I bought them because I was sick of getting dirt in my eye every 2 seconds when doing a clutch or something. I use them exclusivly now for everything, I always order 2 new lens at a time, it don't take long before they are hazed from grinding and such.
    Came in real handy like today when I spent 2 hrs cutting a clutch brake out with an air hammer, clouds of clutch dust and other crap falling right in yer face since you have to be directly under it to see what yer doing.

I've had enough stuff stuck in my eye I pretty much know when it happens now and I imediately head for the wash room and using my LED penlight I can find it pretty fast, pass a magnet over it and it usualy comes right out.

Never realy gave much thought to an MRI, that might be a bit painful.
    I'll have to keep that in mind.