Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Note to self, when dealing with driveshafts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jul 4, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

do not drop them on your head. :doah: :angryfire:

In preparation for towing the trail rig to BF6, I set up an exhaust hanger and some scrap steel to hold the rear shaft up out of the way.

And whilst fiddlign with the *^$@($^*@ straps on the rear yoke, the shaft end came down on my nose and forehead. Ow.

I do not recommend this, in case any of you are tempted to try it. It's big and greasy and HEAVY. :haha:

Oh, and since we're here, how about a real tech question ... is it bad to duct-tape the U-joint together? I don't want the caps falling off ... is there a more scientific way to do this?

-- A

hanger.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Tape is pretty standard.

3. dremu

Cool. Now if the marks on my face were standard... :D

-- A

4. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Duct tape

The handyman's secret weapon! (If they don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy", Red Green.) :waytogo:

I've gotten whacked by a few driveshafts at work doing them on a lift. You think it will stay put long enough to turn around a grab a tool off your cart, and the minute you turn your back "CLANG!". NOT fun. I feel your pain, Bro! :doah:

5. dremu

Hey, RG is making it south! Cool! I was first introduced when I was up in the GWN on holiday some years ago ... I got his DVD (duct tape virtuoso disc?) and ya know, you get hooked! Possum Lodge RULES!

-- A

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't like using duct tape for most things solely because if it's sticking to whatever you are trying to hold in place (as opposed to being wrapped around and stuck to itself) when you go to remove it, you will have tons of leftover adhesive/pieces of the tape. The longer it stays, the worse it is.

Electrical tape doesn't seem to do this, masking tape does the same thing.

On the cap ends this won't really matter, but I just hate adding particles to the rust and dirt on my vehicle lol. :)

7. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Red Green

Remember the man's prayer. "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." :bow: ;)

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Invest in a small hand held roll of stretch wrap. It is basically the same stretch plastic wrap you see them use to wrap up a large pallet but on a small hand held roll. It is the only way to go for shipping stuff, holding stuff together where you don't want tape residue, and all kinds of other kinky stuff that I know you wouldn't indulge in :whistle: I use it when I ship my drivelines back and forth to HAD, and any other shipping I do where I want to keep something together. I think I got mine at Home Depot, or maybe the UPS store.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Or an old sock to slide over the end.

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I usually just let the caps fall off into the dirt, then spend hours searching for all the little needles and rebuild em :D

11. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

know what you mean.last weekend i was puting in my Tcase.my rear shaft was hangin on my frame.i was wrestling with the case too hard and BANG right in the back of the head.i couldint do any thing because the case would squish me.good sized puttle of blood from that.