Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Notebook HDD jumper...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Oct 10, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Which side should it go on?

Looking at old drive with metal case UP; long row of pins are to the left, jumper pins are to the right.

Currently the jumper is on the RIGHT-HAND set of jumper pins, but my father-in-law was trying to recover data from this drive, and I don't know if he had to change the jumper or not.

Anyone know?

It's a Toshiba 80GB drive, going in a Dell Inspiron 8200 if that matters. There's no guidance on the drive label or in Dell's documentation I've found...

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Jumpers are usually for:

CS - Cable Select
    DS - Drive Select
    SP - Slave Present

I've never heard of a "data recovery" jumper... they are typically to help you tell the BIOS whether there are multiple drives attached to a single IDE channel and how to identify each one (allowing the cable to create master / slave priority) or by hard jumpering the drives instead.

BTW -> A google search of "Toshiba 80GB jumper settings" seemd to find some relevant stuff. Most HDD manufacturers will publish tech specs (with jumper diagrams) on their sites.

:thumb:

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Apparently I'm Google-retarded (as I already knew... :mad: ).
    I can't find anything instructive on where the jumper needs to go, or if it even needs to be there. The most informative thing I found was a statement in some forum that if there's nothing on the drive label about a jumper, it probably doesn't need one.

Oh well, gotta go to work anyway... I'll mess with this later. Thanks, Greg!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ive never used a jumper on a laptop drive... Try it without it or experiment. It shouldn't damage the drive if you try it in different positions.

5. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Most laptop drives are default either CS or master, I've used a jumper on a lappy drive before but it isn't often necessary...why not use the drive without jumpers on a single IDE channel (I tend to use an external "caddy" to recover stuff from laptop drives when necessary)