Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Notes and thoughts on 52" springs up front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, May 2, 2004.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Notes and thoughts on 52\" springs up front

Well, I've had a chance to really test these out and I like! I only found one problem;

I have redrilled my front spring perches to move the axle forward 1.25". This extra amount was enough to move the steering arm into the U-Bolt at exteme stuff and only when the tire is in one position. There would be two ways to fix this, move the axle back to the stock holes on the spring perches or put in a bump stop. I will got he bump stop rought as the tire is alread very close to the firwall when its stuffed and turned out.

Just somethig to be aware of. Then I broke out the measuring tape. Right now the shock is limiting droop but I think I will not worry about it. My brakeline just gets tightish with the tire all the way down. I could drop the shock bracket down a few inches as the travel is left over on a full stuff. That would gain me some more on the end but then I'm back into brakelines again. So, I'm just going to run it.

Now how much travel? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try 22" with the shocks being the limits!!

Works for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It doesnt hit, but its real close. I might do some trimming just to be safe.
    [​IMG]

2. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

Re: Notes and thoughts on 52\" springs up front

what size tires are those... i thought you had 39.5's, but those look new. any pics of your core support and firewall up close to show what you did to make clearance?

i'm on 42's and have 52's up front with 56's in the rear. I haven't had a chance to do a lot of testing in real wheeling, just driveway flexing... I haven't moved my axle forward at the perches, just the couple inches resulting from the spring swap, and i'm already into my core support.

3. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i was considering the 52 inch spring swap, what would i have to do to get 6 inches of lift? i have 6 inch sprins right now, could i put 4 inch lift springs from the back into the front? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

what springs did you use up front? More specifically what amount of lift were on them or if they were stock how much lift did you get and are they 4 or 5 leaf packs?

By the way,

YOUR BLUE /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

my stock rear springs moved up front (minus the overload) gave ~4inches of lift. I assume 4 inch rear springs, would net 8 inches.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What the hell would you know, you damn newbie! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for the brakeline issue, why not go with a center drop brake line...just like the rear...

7. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

got a new backround pic /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The stock rear springs up front gave me about 4" of lift or so. I sawed out everything from the body supports out to make the room. Those are 39.5" tires. I think I can just fit 42" when those wear out.

I am Blue! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Help! I'm a nerd! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C

I like the body protection, flex is lookin good aswell. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I love my 52" front springs. I just have to be careful cause when the front end bottoms out hard the spring just barely contacts the pitman arm. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif So I think when I get my new frame i'll move the steering box around.
    [​IMG]

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I got a new backround too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I also think my shocks must be why my flex sucks...that or the sagging springs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]

12. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

Im runnin the 52s up front and my shocks are limiting travel severly, so in goes the ford shock towers then i can measure and get long travel shocks.so far i really like the ride on road,and the flex is awsome with the shocks removed...the drivers side spring can hit the drag link at full stuff,so im gonna drop the bumpstops down a bit and longer shocks will happen in a couple days /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif..overall for the money im very pleased with the swap...