Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

nothing but bad luck!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Lats wed i blew my trans. I called around and the cheapest i could get it rebuilt was around 350 bucks if i pulled it and 700 if i have it towed in to be repaired. Well seeing as its Dec and x-mass is right around the corner i find my self with no money. So the blazer sits.... Then on sun i hear we are in for one hell of a snow storm, 12 to 14 inches, so the rush is now on, I have a snow plow attached to a truck that has no trans all this equalls no extra cash while having fun. My buddy calls me two hours before work on sun night (8PM) and tells me he has a trans for me that works and its for free [​IMG]. So i go out in the dark with a light and start to pull my trans... its time for work by now so i clean up and hope for the best on mon. Sun night around midnight the sky opens up and the snow starts to fall and i do mean fall. I leave work a little early monday morning so i can get a jump on the rest of the removal of my trans. On the way home i call my buddy with the trans and tell him ill be ready for it by 10 am. I get mine 95% ready to pull out and go pickup the free one. Low and behold its a 400 instead of a 350 [​IMG]!!!! Now im about ready to puke my guts out. It just so happens that my buddy with the trans is also the same person who storing my 72 blazer. It just happens to have a good th350 but is barried in his corn crib behind another truck. So the race is on again, buy this time there is already 6 to 8 inches on the ground and its starting to snow harder. Did i mention I am pulling my trans behind the garage in the alley because it wont fit in the garage. Nothing like laying on your back in the snow with it blowing in your face. Well back to the 72.....we now move some stuff around so i can get to the 72. There is no light and no electricity in the crib so im laying in the darkwth a flash light with some basic hand tools trying to pull the tranny, no motor in the 72 so removal was not to bad. So i get back to my house and now its time to remove mine from the truck... wouldn't ya know all my buds at work or out plowing. those of you who have pulled a trans before know how much fun it can be doing this all by your self. Comming out was not to bad but i think i wrestled with the reinstall for about three hours...(note to self next time rent a tranny thingamagiger that attaches to the jack)... well as im getting the last bolt in the crossmember (about a foot of snow on the ground and the wind is picking up) I realize i did not put the exuast up with the trans and the transfer case, so out comes the sawzall and a few choice words no children should ever hear! its 4:30PM im soaked to the bone and half froze to death and still looking at a couple hours of work to button everything up and to top it off ive been awake since 11:00AM Sunday. I call it a night and fig ill finish in the morning..... So much snow...no4X4...now i have to call off work...Docked 8 hrs. Nothing i can do so get some much needed z's. I wake up around 9am and look out the back window to see the the village has come and plowed the alley and has burried my Blazer up to about the pass door and the wind has done much of the same thig on the drivers side.After an hour of shoveling the snow away from the truck i procede to finish the install. mind you i have no idea how well or ifthe trans runs at all. (14 inches of snow now). I get it all buttoned up, put fluid in it and what do ya know it runs.... YE HAW!!!! But wait it gets better. I hook up the plow and head out. Only one way to find out what this trans is made of. I put it through the paces the trans is working great, but then the truck dies and i cant get it started. The batt is run sown so low it takes for ever to jump it, come to find out my alternator is shot. F@#K and a few ather good ones in there) Back to the garage to find the spare alt. back to freezing my but off. What we all wont do for the love of our blazers!!!
    Lessons learned these past few days. Most importantly I do love my Blazer and I WOULD do it all again to drive the best truck in the world!!!
    have to love the snow!!!!!!!!!!

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

2. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Damn, mine blew thursday too. Haven't started it yet, I don't have a new trans, but am most likely gonna have to do it in the snow as well. Least I ain't gonna be the only guy who froze his boys off under a K5 this month. I just hope that all that other crap doesn't happen though. Hope that new tranny, and alternator, work out for ya.

<font color=red>If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.</font color=red>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

oh man now thats dedication. hope everything is going better now

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

sorry dude. it'll be cool in the end.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Now THAT is dedication. One heck of a story, I am impressed you stuck it out............have friends in Batavia, IL, said it was a heck of a storm.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I am also impressed!! Great story, Thanks for sharing! Did the T-case linkage last weekend. Froze at first but as I was getting mader at the imposible angles I had to have my arm in, and all the crud falling in my eyes it didnt bother me that much. My wife commented on my rosy cheeks though.... I swear she thinks I'm having fun out there.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

7. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

The sad thing is ... we are so warped that this kinda stuff is fun! Granted, a little more so during the other three seasons.

Was right there with you ... gotta love it!

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Hey that is why some of us live in AZ. Yesterday it was 74 deg. out side. I did take my hat off to you for your dedication to the k-5 life style! I hope that everything is still working great!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

9. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

C'moe

send some of that warm air over here. I still nedd my ass defrosted!!

Bigmeats

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like fun...my friend had an '86 C20 and the engine blew and then he bought a '79 K10. He got an Edelbrock Performer intake and was bolting the carb on and he had a metal hose under it which broke two of the carb mounting plate ears. So yesterday its like 20 degrees with 30 mph wind on a major street and we got the carb off the '86 to put it on the '79. Actually I did most of the work, but we went to put it on and he realized it won't bolt up. I wanted to strangle him...I hate working in teh cold too...

90K5

11. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

never fails, when its the worst out is when something goes wrong. If it wern't for bad luck some times i think id have no luck at all!!

Bigmeats

12. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hey BigMeats, Sorry to hear about your problems, but it could be worse, you could own a Jeep! Where are you located?

13. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Im i Manhattan Il, Its about 45 miles south of Chicago

Bigmeats