Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nothing Ever Goes Right.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Mar 9, 2001.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well I finally started my blazer today after a 1 1/2 years and swapping my trans tcase into it. It took me a bit till I got my plug wires on correct so it just kept cranking and would not fire. Finally got them on there right so it fires right up, oil pressure was up bout 65-70 pounds I just put a high volume pump on it. So I shut it off go in the house come backk out and try to start it again and it would not even turn over completely without making a awful sound of the flywheel and starter grinding. (it never did this all the other time I was cranking it, just after it started) So I thought ok my battery is also low so I hook it to the charger let it charge. Go out and it fires right up again no problems. Shut it off again and I get the same crap when I try to start it. Then I moved my oil pressure gauge start the truck no it says my frickin oil pressure is only 20 pounds.. Then to make it worse I try to shift it into gear and the damn thing wont shift. The motor and trans both only have about 10,000 miles on rebuild.

Scott
    78blazer

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

you may have to replace all fluids in it also your battery may be shot .

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

3. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just bought the battery last night. I have also drpped the pan and changed the fluid in the tranny when it was apart.

Scott
    78blazer

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

How old is the starter Scott? I had a starter that the bushings were shot on, and if the battery wasn't at peak charge, it wouldn't start, because the armature was rubbing on the magnets in the starter. You might want to double check the oil pressure with another gauge, just to be sure that the low oil pressure isn't from a faulty gauge. I know it's discouraging, but don't give up. [​IMG]

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com>http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com</A>

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

How long did you wait after you ran it to start it again? It could be your manifold heat is causing you a hot start problem, especially hot if you run headers. By the time you finished charging your battery it would have cooled down enough to start up again.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's with no cutting on a 4" lift.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You say you "moved your oil pressure guage". Sounds like the sending unit might be cbad. To go from 70 lbs to 20 doesn't seem right. Although all of a sudden after a few months on a rebuild my oil pressure would drop from 60 to 30 when I would idle at a stoplight. And then back up to 60 when I was moving.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

My oil pressure has always been like that

<font color=green>Stupid tourist at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky: "How many miles of unexplored passages are there?"</font color=green>

8. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

The starter is probably a couple yrs old. But it wasnt used that much I put it on the truck when I put the new motor in after I blew it up. As far as low oil pressure goes after I put the new motor in at idle it always ran about 20 pounds and would jump to 40-60 while driving and I didnt like that so when I switched it to the 84 I put a high volume pump in it and also as far as how long the truck sat before I tried to start again I only ran the truck for about 3-4 minutes shut it off went in the house for 20 minutes then went back out and tried to start it. I think my starter and timing are something I am gonna check into today.

Scott
    78blazer

9. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well got a couple things fixed now. Starter is working pulled one of the shims out in it. Now its starting right. My oil pressure has gone back up. It just makes me wonder if I got air in the lines or something like that when I moved the gauge cuz it works fine now.

Scott
    78blazer