Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Notice.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 26, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Random bag search...

Too bad London police weren't doing this. It may not have prevented anything, but maybe it would have made the perpetrators think twice.

2. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Cant we all just get along?

Its really a shame its come down to this.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It would be nice if the cops could randomly search anyone who fits the profile of a terrorist... but we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by profiling. Maybe the 85 year old gramma they search will have some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in her "bag of destruction" that they could pass around.

Hey Ratch, has your bag been searched yet?

:crazy:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I feel better and worse about it.

Realistically, it's about friggin time they noticed there's a huge opportunity for any terrorist who's ever commuted this way...
    But on the other hand, I hate that I can be simply pointed to and required to show the contents of my bag. And what's worse, I just started carrying a pocket sized bible in it since I haven't read anything from the bible in months, so now I'm a friggin fundamentalist... :doah:

I'm a little racist now, too, I think. My stress level is a little heightened and I'm a little more alert when I see someone in a turban or with a Koran on my train (BTW, I think anyone who tells you something doesn't run through their mind when they see this is lying, or so liberal they'd offer a suicide bomber help with his trigger).
    It's ridiculous, but there are 4 or 5 indian guys that ride my usual train and they all sit together and talk the whole ride. I knwo they're Indian, and they've been riding this train same as me for years, but for some reason I feel a little tension because of them. Maybe I just project my internal subconcious fear of a public transportation attack to them, I dunno...

Hey Divorced, my bag hasn't been searched yet, but friday night, an NYPD officer was walking the train and saw the guy sitting next to me's bag on the overhead rack. He stopped and yelled out "Who's bag is this?? Who's bag is this??" Looks at me: "Is this bag yours or is it unattended???"
    The guy next to me was eating, so he couldn't answer right away. It was kinda funny, but I thought the cop was gonna call the bomb squad and evac the train. I would've been pissed, cause it's hard to get a window seat and I had one...:rotfl:

If London didn't just have these bombings, I'd be a little pissed about this policy, but it's pretty obviously to avoid a Madrid or London type bombing, so for now, I'll deal with it before I quit riding the train.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

saw a thing last night about how all the seats have easily accessed hidden areas under em... A train, E, etc... no locks or nothing... ya basically just lift the seat bottom... kinda screwed up, the train guys where backpeddling and saying there's mechanicals that may need quick attention in there...

screw that, i'd want em locked...

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Oh good god, don't let it hit there. I was just involved in a monster debate on PBB about the constitutionality of the random searches. It was quite fun though, I was able to piss off the thread starter.................... :D

8. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Bombing

Don't panic. the London cops are on the case here and they pretty well seem to know who they want to catch. The British are masters at keeping info from the public and so there is a lot more progress than is known about. The fact is that London was well overdue for an attack since the 9/11 thing and they've been expecting it. Only a small amount of damage relatively speaking and you have to bear in mind that the British police don't carry guns. Only special teams of armed-response police have weapons. There's about 60 in London I think. So London really is a soft-target for this type of cowardly action.
    The NYPD all carry guns and that keeps your streets safer than you think.
    Your average muslim person is not a threat as Islam is a non-violent faith. Thats what we're told.