Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Noticing a new fuel filter...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, Mar 4, 2005.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Is there a noticable change when you replace your firewall mounted fuel filter? because i've had my truck for a year now and 30k later i still havn't changed it.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If it gets plugged up and starts letting dirty fuel go by it will most likely be noticeable when your injector pump wears out.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I don't think you'd notice it immediately like you would a clogged air filter, but you'll certainly notice it in a year or two when you're having injection pump and injector issues. I've seen on here that most change it yearly. I'm inclined to change it more often depending on what sort of miles you rack up.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've noticed it before..........but that was either from waiting to long to change it or getting a back tank of fuel.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

when i changed the one in my old C10 it ran MUCH better, before it was really doggy, and not much high end, and accelerating, braking and turning would make the water in fuel light kick on

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Do these filters bypass fuel when they start getting plugged? I didn't think they did but it's good to know.

7. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I have the screw on filter setup and when I got a tank full of bad fuel it didn't bypass anything.

I got half-way to work and suddenly I was holding the pedal to the floor to maintain speed. A minuet later it just shut down. I could wait a minuet and crank it back up and it would run for about 40 seconds before all of the trash clogged the filter media back up and choked the fuel supply.