Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Novice here... head unit questions, plus more

Discussion in 'Audio' started by four_by_ken, Jul 29, 2003.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, heres the long story short. There was some selling of parts and trading... and in the end, I will come out with a nice amp-subwoofer-box. This will be going in a reg cab S-10. I heard it before it was taken out and it sounded REAL good. Well at least to me, eo that is all that matters to me. But, my question is... this is a bone stock S-10. Including the head unit. I am not a big subwoofer guy, in fact I really dont like rap and typical club music. I am more a Metallica-Korn-Mudvayne type of person. ANyways... can I hook this tuff up to a stock 2003 S-10 head unit? I know it will not be as perfect as a nice aftermarket head unit, but I dont always park in the nicest neighborhoods for work, and I dont want to draw attention. Plus, I want to spend next to nothing on this.

Any help.... suggestions... anything?

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, heres the long story short. There was some selling of parts and trading... and in the end, I will come out with a nice amp-subwoofer-box. This will be going in a reg cab S-10. I heard it before it was taken out and it sounded REAL good. Well at least to me, eo that is all that matters to me. But, my question is... this is a bone stock S-10. Including the head unit. I am not a big subwoofer guy, in fact I really dont like rap and typical club music. I am more a Metallica-Korn-Mudvayne type of person. ANyways... can I hook this tuff up to a stock 2003 S-10 head unit? I know it will not be as perfect as a nice aftermarket head unit, but I dont always park in the nicest neighborhoods for work, and I dont want to draw attention. Plus, I want to spend next to nothing on this.

Any help.... suggestions... anything?

Thanks
    Ken H.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes you can, easiest way is too get a line level converter, and tap into the wires for the rear speakers. Better way too do it is too aquire a headunit with pre-amp outs, and mount it somewhere out of sight like in the glove box, or under the seat.

3. four_by_ken

But, then I would have to go into the glove box or whereever to cheange stations and CDs... right?

That sounds like a pain.

Ken H.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ken,

You've pretty much summed up the options.......

Using the existing deck will be a compromise sonically, but you can use the line-level converter off the back to create the input signal the amp will need. A setup like this runs the risk of picking up alternator whine pretty easily, and also doesn't have much in the way of S/N (signal to noise) ratio..... in other words, the noise floor will probably be quite high, and you'll have to turn the music up louder to drown out the hiss.....maybe.

Option 2 is to run a seperate deck somehow, maybe hide it under a seat and use a small keypad controller that can be hidden in the ashtray (you don't smoke do you!? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Coincidentally, this is why I currently have a post up in this forum about the Sony CDX-C90. My '72 Burb has a gorgeous uncut dash with an old two-post AM radio that I'm not willing to rip out....and I'm not hacking the dash for something "modern".

5. four_by_ken

Noise floor?

[ QUOTE ]
    in other words, the noise floor will probably be quite high/quote]

6. four_by_ken

Are any of the differant line converters any better than another one? I see them from $5 to $60.

Ken H.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    But, then I would have to go into the glove box or whereever to cheange stations and CDs... right?

That sounds like a pain.

Ken H.

[/ QUOTE ] Think handheld remote. Yes, into the glovebox to change a CD.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Noise floor..... an expression that describes how much non-musical information is coming out of the stereo.

Simple analogy: Quiet library vs. Bus Station....you can listen to music on your walkman in either place, but you will hear MORE of the music and it's details in the library setting.... you CAN crank up the music at the Bus Station and get more loudness, but you've lost the subtleties of the music. In this example the "noise floor" is lower in the library than the bus station.....

The same thing holds true for equipment selection. Some equipment has a high noise rejection and high signal-to-noise ratio, so it sounds really clean and powerful even at low volume. The lower quality stuff has a lot of background hiss and noise, and even though you can crank it up to drown out the offending sounds....you don't have the dynamic range of a better quality system.

Also, this same concept can be applied to sound deadening inside your vehicle. Dynamat (or equivalent) can really quiet down a listening environment and make the music much more enjoyable at lower volumes....sometimes it's more worthwhile to make the interior quieter, than it is to make the stereo LOUDER!

Some things to consider...... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif