Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Novice here...radio/rear power window etc...not working

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoAngel, Sep 8, 2003.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

My rear power window/radio/lighter all do not work. I put a new fuse in for the radio...no luck. Can't seem to figure out if there is a fuse for the lighter and window(they are all abbreviated and none make sense to me) The radio still isn't working. Should I just change all the fuses? I should also mention when I push the button for the rear window to move down it makes this sound like it's trying to do it, but just won't. There is also now a "whirring" sound that is coming from my lower dash. Like a small motorized something is trying to work and isn't...
    Could all 3 of these things be connected in some way and that sound I hear is the motor to them all and I may need a new one? Or are they all seperate issues I need to contend with? Help!

2. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I should also mention that putting the key in the tailgate keyhole doesn't make it work either... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Do you have a test light? I would start with checking that you have power at the fuse block. Basically pull the fuse and test both terminals that the fuse plugs into (one should have power and one should be dead).

4. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Thanks for replying, I am always afraid my posts will get lost in the shuffle!
    I don't have a test light, I can get one though. How much are they? If that's not it, what do you suggest? Or if I check it and there is no power at the block what then?

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The test lights are just $3-4 at most parts stores or walmart. With that and a good wiring diagram just start at the fuse box and make sure you have power there (this is not a common place to have a problem). Then as long as you put a good fuse in you can move down the circuit to the switch and check for power there. If that is good check for power on the accessory side of the switch (switch on = power on/switch off = power off)... Basicaly try to trace down the point you lose power.

A wiring diagram will help you know what color wire to be probing.

6. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Thanks Kenny! I'll try it and give you an update or tell you if I need more help. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the connection of the motor to the window?

Take the plate off of the tailgate and reattach the electric wires and the cable