Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now accepting unbiased opinions on Skyjacker springs.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnyK5, Dec 27, 2001.

1. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I'm thinking of 4" front springs from Skyjacker. Any pro's or cons? Thanks.

" IT AINT DEEP !! " -common phrase from that guy who doesn't drive to the local mudhole.

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

they use religon as a sales "gimic"/"pitch".
    I dont like that so I shopped elsewhere.
    products looked fine
    actually I may have a pitman arm from them on my truck, it came unboxed so I guess I dont really know

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Skyjacker softrides are pretty nice.... a bit stiffer then some, but ride very nice IMO. I almost went with them, but went with BDS springs instead.... they ride awsome

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I still run a set of Skyjacker rear springs, not bad and no real problems. They are a little stiffer than most, just depends on what you are looking for ride wise.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have the 4" Softrides. If you get them go with the Softrides. The HDs are too stiff. I like that they use a u-bolt style clamp to hold the leaves together so you don't have to pry them open. The people on the phone were helpfull even AFTER they had my money. I was very pleased with their customer service. The fact that they toss a Bible quote in the box doesn't bother me. NW&amp;T usually has the best prices.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have the 4" softride system, and have NO complaints about it. Its a daily driver, and I think it rides fine- after all I'm not driving a cadilac, I'm driving a truck.

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

How do they use religion to sell... I must have missed it.

And who the hell cares if they do? If a Quaker could build a better spring, I would buy it. Doesnt matter to me.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.skyjacker.com/aboutus.htm>http://www.skyjacker.com/aboutus.htm</a>

Here is some more info on the SkyJacker religion thing... I actually find it kind of refreshing - in light of recent tough times the world is experiencing, its fine by me for a company to give the credit of their successes to their religion.

Besides that, I like my SkyJacker 6" lift. The front springs are plenty squishy for me... [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Hell, if they believe an all mighty power is what makes their suspension work... thats their problem.

Personally, I would like to take the credit if I put out a nice product. Crazy bible thumpers.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

10. 90BlazerK5

90BlazerK5 Registered Member

Being non-religious myself, I took the bible quote I got, crumpled it up, and tossed it into the same pile as the intructions! Then I got my hands greasy and went to work. All in all, never bothered me a bit, and I love the way the softrides ride. Gonna get hte rear springs pretty soon....

Where did all these damned dirty apes come from!?!

11. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I've had a set of softrides, and so has a friend of mine, both were 4 inch kits. I had mine for several years. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, they ride like hell, and don't flex very well. They have one of the highest spring rates of a softride spring. I would say go with some tuff country's or some alcan springs. My friend bought tuff countrys and they were a MAJOR improvement over the Skyjackers. I bought some Alcan springs a few months ago, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the springs and the ride.

Sounds like others have had better luck than me with Skyjacker, so I just thought I'd give you a different perspective.

12. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I have a 4 inch softride and wouldn't recommend it, too stiff. I am thinking of removing it and going to tuff country. Also wasn't pleased with their service, they sent me u bolts for a larger axle tube which wouldn't fit through my spring plates. When i called and asked for the right ones, they refused and suggested I use a vise to squeeze the ubolts enough to go through the plates and just tighten down!!! Religion aint gonna save you if you treat people like crap.

13. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

went about things the wrong way, shoulda told them to offer you the springs in the good faith that God will look good upon them and trust he will reward their good deed, people do it every Sunday only with cold hard and paper cash

14. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. So far we have 2 neg / 2 neutral / 4 positive opinions.
    Bigjbear: WN&amp;T is just an hour from me - so thats a good thing.[​IMG]

" IT AINT DEEP !! " -common phrase from that guy who doesn't drive to the local mudhole.

15. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I have 6" skyjacker softrides on my 89. Separation problems and quickly worn bushings. Will not buy again!

16. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've had the 4" front and rear springs for about 2 years now and I don't have any major complaints. When I first got them they were a little stiff but as soon as I took them out on the trails and flexed the hell out of them they smoothed right out. My k5 is my daily driver and it rides great. Ride quality depends a lot on your tires too. My TSL's are much harsher on the street than my AT's, it's like having a totally different vehicle. Heavy tires like Swampers can make springs feel much stiffer than they really are cause they add a lot of unsprung weight. Anyway, I'm getting off the real point... I guess if I were to buy new springs it would be a tough decision between Skyjacker and BDS. BDS is nice cause they have a lifetime warantee against failure and sagging. A friend of mine bought an old zuki with BDS springs on it that were sagged and they replaced them without question.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

17. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

From what I understand they have a pretty stiff ride. I own TuffCountry springs. Check out the spec. section of CK5 and look at the spring rates. Lower spring rates equal a better ride...I believe.
    Juan

chrome sucks
    about chrome: "I didn't know it was possible for something to both suck and blow"

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I installed 4" Skyjacker Softride front springs on my '90 about 5 years and at least 20-30,000 miles ago. The truck was my daily driver for a couple of years after that, and has been pretty much a trail only vehicle for the last 3 years and gets used pretty hard. I really couldn't tell much of a difference in ride quality between the 4" springs and stock at the time. I can't really compare them to any other brand of 4" springs, but I have had no problems with them. The springs look to be in good shape, have not sagged that I can notice, and even still have most of the original paint still on them! The original Skyjacker bushings were still in good shape when I replaced them with ORD's greasables a couple of months ago, though the sleaves and bolts were pretty rusty. They seem to flex pretty good as I had to do quite a bit of fender trimming to run my 35x12.50's.

Disconnecting the swaybar made the ride noticably smoother on the street, and I would say this would hold true if you installed something like ORD's swaybar correction/disconnect setup since swaybar has a tendency to bind when used with lift kits.

Installing the greasable bushings also increased the amount of flex, especially since the old bushing sleeves and bolts were rusted up and frozen together. I actually had to trim more from the front fenders to avoid tire rubbing after installing the greasable bushings.

19. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I've never had them but came across this: My 70 GMC

20. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

my superlifts are way stiffer then my skyjackers...

[​IMG]Mash Out![​IMG]
    82 Blazer 1 Ton "Big Nasty"
    78 Jimmy 3/4 Ton
    <font color=red>"Red Dawg" </font color=red>