Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now help me chose a tire...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 21, 2005.

?

Which tires should I get?

1. BFG 35x12.5x15 M/T 171.99

43.7%
  2. Goodyear Wrangler MTR 35x12.5x15 189.99

20.7%
  3. Trxus STS 35x12.5x15 186.95

1.1%
  4. Trxus MT 35x12.5x15 179.95

9.2%
  5. Swamper TSL 36x12.5x15 202.95

19.5%
  6. High-Tec Retreads Mud 35x12.5x15 90.00

5.7%
  1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

In the very near future I will be in the market for new tires due to dry rotting, and just being too small... =)

My options were selected by price range and hearsay... what do you guys think for a guy on a tight budget who doesn't care about brand names?

I need to get radials too, since I do highway driving on a daily basis, and I've driven Bias tires in wisconsin before... no fun.

I know I can probably get all the tires listed here for less than the price I put in, but I took them all from the same "magazine shop" rather than floating around in a catalog for an hour. I'm actually leaning towards the retreads, since I've heard good things about their longevity and ride, but I want some expert opinions and real life experiences with the tires listed.

2. PhoenixZorn

=(... I can't edit the poll... I want to add 35x10.5x15 Swamper Boggers on there, just for ****s and giggles, though since they are bias, I doubt they will even be considered in my final decision. If there is a Bogger Radial, I love the tread pattern, so vote away...

When you vote, please tell me why you like your selection... otherwise I'll end up with a bunch of Swamper votes just because of the Swamper name...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

STS's SUCK A$$. Avoid them at all costs.

If you do alot of highway driving there are only 2 I would choose from the BFG MT and the Goodyear MTR.

You will get more road miles out of BFG's but MTR's will probably outperform the BFG offroad in most situations.

Harley

4. PhoenixZorn

What's wrong with the Trxus MT and Retreads? You didn't mention them...

I picked the STS's because the tread looks cool.. I know it would gum up in even the dryest mud real fast because there is nowhere for it to go...

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

STS suck everywhere, they are a horrible tire. And the 35x10.5 boggers run rediculously small. Also, you say you need radials, then why do you have TSL's up there?

Judging by your comment on wanting the STS's because they "look cool", im guessing this truck wont see much trail time? If so, just get the BFG MT or an AT.

Retreads vary because they are made on whatever carcasses they have laying arround, i would stay away from them. trXus MT's are great tires, but wear fairly quick compared to the BFG's.

6. PhoenixZorn

It will see trail time, but most of the local trails are more dirt and gravel than any rocks or mud... occasionally I'll see thick mud, but I want something that will be good for everything.

7. Hossbaby50

I wouldn't run retreads on anything that saw highway use. I have seen to many retreads on big rigs that came apart to make me believe that they are a good tire.

I have heard good things about the Trxus MT's offroad but I don't think they are going to have a great life expectancy.

I have personally run both the BFG MT and the MTR's. If my truck was did alot of highway driving and saw little or light offroad I would definilty go with BFG MT's. They will outlast MTR's and there performance isn't terrible offroad. My truck sees a good amount of offroad action so I am running MTR's. I love my MTR's. They are a great tire and fit my bill very well. I wouldn't consider another set of tires for my truck unless it became an offroad or onroad only truck.

For me this is the way I see it. Keep in mind that I see it this way for my truck and this is my opinion. Others will dissagree I am sure.

Mostly Onroad = BFG AT or MT
    Half/half = MTR
    Mostly Offroad = TSL

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

that just about sums it up. how much offhighway will/do you honestly do? 70%?...90%? since you said your local trails are mostly dirt and gravel, sounds like you really dont need more than a good A/T.

BTW i just bought myself a new set of 35-12.50-15 BFG A/T's. i was gonna get something more mud friendly, like the truxus M/T or BFG M/T,but since i do 90%+ driving on road(its a DD) then i couldnt see spending all that money on tires that would just get wasted away driving on the freeway. the BFG A/T's will last 50,000 miles easy, do good in every terrian except thick mud,and in some terrian will outperform an M/T.but thats just my opinion of course :D

i say if you have to have a mud tire, get a BFG M/T, otherwise get the A/T.

9. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

If i was you, I'd go with the Bf's 35x12.50...i have a set on my truck that been rolling for 4 or 5 year with 4 or 5 different owners...lots of abuse: smoke shows, snow, mud,sand,highway,pushin,haulin...man those tires are still pullin me out of greasy situations... :waytogo:

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

11. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Accidentally voted for ther STS'. Meant to click the TRXXUS MT's. Ran them on my truck for a few years and was happy with them.

12. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

For street use I would stick with the BFG's or the MTR's.

I've had both.

The BFG lasts longer and is better on the street and in the mud but there is no syping (spelling) so if you drive in the snow or on the ice you want to get them syped (mine were and I LOVED them).

The MTR already has the syping and works better in the rocks and dirt.

My $$$ would go to the BFG and add the sypes.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU SPELL -SYPING-????

13. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

MT/R's BABY!

-Seriously the best compromise for a daily driver. work great on and off road :thumb: Worth every penny.

14. PhoenixZorn

WTF is Syping?

15. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Siping
    Is taking a heated blade, which can vary in size, and grooving your tires. Basically it is tuning your tires to get better traction on the street or trail. There was an article in Petersons a few months ago on siping. I don't really agree with there reasoning for siping but same general concept.

16. PhoenixZorn

Well... the Baja Widetracks I have on now are Siped, and they absolutely suck in the snow because they float... So, I'd like to stay in the same width range, but go taller and heavier, hence my decision to go with 35s and not some silly width like 14.5 that I will never get to use.

Honestly, when I go trailing, I try to take the hardest paths, and test my abilities as a driver every time... I know it doesn't compare to what we can do with our trucks, but I drive my Stanza like its a rally car whenever I have the chance. I expect that up to 75% of my driving will be on road, and the other 25% will be dirt, mud, sand, and deep ruts.

Also keep in mind that I will have to drive in snow for up to 33% of the year, and that I'm on a tight budget. Yeah, we all want Super Swamper Boggers, but I don't have $220 per tire to spend... Also I included TSLs because there is a Radial TSL... I like the agressive tread, and tests done by 4 wheeler magazine said it wears well on the road... not as good as some others, but good enough to want them on my truck.

By the way... while we are on the subject, I've driven a 73 maverick on bias tires, and it grabbed every line in the road and wouldn't let go... they were car tires, and I understand there is great differences in the way tires are made today, but will I really see that big of a road difference between a bias and radial of the same tread?

I'm speaking specifically of the Interco tires that are avaiable in both Bias and Radial... What would be a safe highway speed with 35 inch agressive tread bias tires, or would you stick with the radials all day?

17. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I love BFG A/Ts on my DDs('course I have only ever had DDs). Peterson's did a BFG M/T vs BFG A/T a few years ago, and they were almost the same in almost every catergory. IIRC, M/T was only a tiny bit better in Mud, but A/T was slightly better in most other catergories (incl snow and gravel), plus they're usually less expensive. I haven't driven, but have riden in snow 1' plus w/A/T and no problems (before we were married I let him drive :grin: ). Of course, M/T "look" a little tougher.

18. PhoenixZorn

Is that a timber rattler tail in your avatar mini mull?

Thanks for the info... I'm still looking at pictures in my magazines, and I just piced up the april issue of 4 wheeler last night with the tire reviews...

I need a fricken subscription... who wants to buy me one??

The thing I am worried about with an AT tire is the fact that every AT tire I've had, from my E-150 van to my stanza on 185/70R14s has gotten jammed up with mud and snow faster than you can spin your 4d4s, resulting in ultimate loss of traction. I take it since you've recommended them, the BFG A/Ts don't do this, and they are actually capable of shedding the mud they pack in that tight tread?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  19. Hossbaby50

BFG AT's do ok in most situations except they suck in the mud. If you are worried about mud then get BFG MT's. They do alot better in the mud then the AT's do and they can get about the same mileage if you rotate them and keep the pressures correct.

Harley

20. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Thanks for noticing the avatar. Actually, I believe it's a diamond back rattler. It's hard to tell from just the tail. I got it last fall while quail hunting. It's about 54" (with the head blown off) and has 14 rattles. It's my first snake, and I am pretty proud of it in case you couldn't tell. :D

We've gotten stuck in mud plenty of times with our A/Ts and had to build up with stuff to get out. There's not a lot of rain in AZ (except for this year), and even when there is it dries up quickly, so they are perfect for us. Our trucks usually see mostly pavement except on hunting/fishing/camping/cabin trips, so we don't really need anything more aggressive. I would describe the A/Ts as the best riding and handling street tire with the most offroad capabilities. But if you want more of an offroad tire, with street capabilities, go with something else. Seems the consensus is the MTRs are next with the TSL radials following.

Just my opinion, and I have limited experience/knowledge so take it for what its worth. If I were you, I'd drill one of the more experienced members that lives in the same kind of terrain you do, so they'd better understand what your application is going to be, but all of the opinions so far seem similar, so maybe it wouldn't be any different. You also might want to ask about noise since you'll be driving on the highway often.

Whoops, Hoss answered your question while I was writing my novel, oh well, I'll still throw in my .02.