Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now I can't get the harmonic balancer all the way on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Sep 1, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Now I can\'t get the harmonic balancer all the way on

I took a couple of days off from workin on the truck and now I wish I hadn't. I guess when I took the balancer off, I stripped out the first few threads on the crankshaft bolt hole. And I can't get the balancer on all the way. Is there another tool like the puller that is used for installation? And will it be okay to use a thread chaser on the crankshaft?

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Re: Now I can\'t get the harmonic balancer all the way on

I had the same trouble when i removed mine, had a hard time getting if off and a hard time putting it on. I used a tap on it to clean up the threads on the crankshaft and used the old block off wood and a hammer method to put it back on. This is not recommended. There are tools that do this job right. Moroso makes one that you can get through summit for $45 the summit part number is MOR-61744. You could try to see if autozone has one. They have a free loan-a-tool service. Might be worth checking out.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

YES there is a balancer install tool. Several company's make them. I have a Snap on tool that covers most engines made. cost me 40 some bucks. PLEASE, PLEASE, avoid using the hammer method!!it can damage or even break the thrust surface on the crank and mushrooms the bearing surfaces. If you are carefull you can clean the threads out.

4. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

is your engine new? i bought a remanufactered motor from advanced auto parts ( big mistake now i own a crate 350) and it had a spring in the bolt hole for the balancer ( on the aa moter). i guess it was to protect the threads. well let me tell you the balancer goes on a whole lot better once you take that out.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Just get to the local hardware store, get a bolt that is the same thread, but longer... then get a pile of washers. This will effectivly allow you to use that bolt to pull the balancer back onto the crank. Use the washers to "adjust" the length... you should start with just a couple washers, and add them as you go. That, and while you are backing that bolt in and out, it will help insure clean threads for the "real" crank bolt once the balancer is completely installed.

Good luck!

-Dan