Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now I'm depressed...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Hospital anesthesia people called me just now wanting $700+ that my insurance provider didn't pay them for providing the anesthesia for my chest surgery. That's money that I just don't have, and I just flat out hung up on them when they told how much I owe them. Left a voice mail message for dad to call me back so I can tell him about this. Bill collectors breathing down my neck for money I just don't have is the last thing I need.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Did your insurance claim that anesthesia was optional? That flat out sucks!!! Sorry to hear it. :eek1:

Rene

3. Jemaddux

Jemaddux Registered Member

I just did back surgery here a couple months ago. One thing I don't understand is when the insurance company looks at the bill they can say what they will pay and the hospital has to except that. Now if I say the bill is to high and this is what I will pay that doesn't matter, I still have to pay what they put. Like my drugs while I was in came out to $5400.00. Now, that is for only the stuff I had while I was in the room for two days. I was given four shots of morphine the first day and five shots of demoral the next day along with three 500cc bags of antibiotics and that all came out to $5400.00. I'm in the wrong business. :doah: :doah: :doah:

4. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I have PPO and have gone through the same thing with my insurance. What happens is that even though the hospital is a provider facility, the anesthesiologist and radiologist usually are not and are contracted at the hospital. What I have to do is call my insurance and tell them that I went to a provider facility and I have no control over who they choose for my anesthesia or xrays.

The insurance will usually run the charges back through at 100%. Might be worth calling your insurance and finding out.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Insurance companies have VERY wierd rules.

Our plan does not cover birth control. However, when Kim got a "medicated" IUD, it was covered due to the fact that it was "medicinal". The ironic part is that the medicated IUD was over $500, while the run-of-the-mill IUD was $60.

Go figure........:dunno:

6. Inu-Hanyou1776

shewheeler, maybe that's what dad will do. He's the one handling the end of all the bill paying that insurance won't cover. He doesn't want me worrying any about the medical bills my Hodgkins is creating.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

no kidding i wouldent want you to eaither, pretty much the last thing you need is to worry about money

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If your insurance does not cover the bill, here's how you handle it (little known rules):

Call the hospital or entity and ask to speak to someone about arranging for payment of the bill.

Tell whoever is on the account that you need to have them reduce the bill and you need to make payments. Get their best deal.

Tell them you can only pay ____ (like $10 a month) and you will send them a check right away then every month thereafter.

If they agree, then do so.

If they don't, send them a check anyway. If they refuse the check (i.e., they don't cash it and send it back to you) they have legally released you from your obligation to pay. If they cash the check, then they have agreed to your terms and reduced fee. This is the law.

If they bug you about it later, just go up the food chain to a manager and inform them what happened and that they agreed or released the obligation. Eventually someone will get that you understand how it works and that will be the end of it.

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is true. I did this when my first son was born almost 5 years ago. We had crappy insurance. So I'm still paying them $10 a month. You can also consolidate all those little bills into one with the hospital. I'll prob pay $10 a month until he's 25 but atleast I don't have to come off of a few grand all at once and they don't add intrest or hassle me. My second son was born and I had better insurance, I paid his full balance the next month. $65

Also I had a friend that is a nurse and she said that once the insurance pays that if you don't pay the remainder, the hospital writes it off. I don't know if its true but she told me not to worry about paying them, but I do anyway.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Eventually they will, but they can also report you to a credit bureau in the course of collection attempts. Better just to do what you're doing.

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

I'm just letting dad handle all the money related issues, 'cause that's what he wants. I can't work while still on the chemo, so the only money I really have right now is what was in my bank account after my last paycheck, and what friends and family have been giving me, and combined, it ain't enough to pay what they want, and I won't have a steady income again until hopefully the end of next summer when I'm hoping I'm cleared to return to work.

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You can also tell them that you can make one payment now then nothing for X months. Frankly you can dictate any arrangement you want, and as long as you send a check and they refuse it you will be done with the bill. or they have to accept whatever terms you offer.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My experience..

In our state,many hospitals have "Free Care" available to residents whose yearly income is below the poverty level,(about $13,000 here)-or those who are unemployed,but not able to get SSI Disability..I fell into that category when I had testicular cancer surgurey in 2001..they wrote off the entire operation..I never saw a bill at all..it would have cost me 2500-3500 dollars at least--and I was only at the hospital from 7 am until I staggered out the door at 11:15 am.. :(

I often wonder just how good a job they did on me--I still have severe pain at the site where the incision was made..I'm sure if I had Blue Cross I'd have been invited to stay overnight for "observation"..since my operation was a "freebie",I got the bums rush out the door,and generic prescription painkillers--no "perks" for me.. :( ..but at least I didn't have to worry about how I was going to pay for it..they claim that I am now cancer free,my tumor was only "pre cancerous",after they autopsied it..I hope they were right.. :rolleyes:

I'd look into this at your hospital(s)--they don't go broadcasting the fact this is available ,but it is in many cases-(not sure what states have it)-also,as others said,they also have "time payments" plans available..here,even if you only pay 1 dollar a week,by law they can't sour your credit rating,as long as you are making an effort to pay--the amount is not the issue..

Bottom line is worry about beating your cancer,not how or who will pay the bill--my doctor told me that!..he said "dead men pay NO bills"- :eek1: and he added "illegal ailiens get it for free,why shouldn't you--your an american!".. :crazy: