Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now I'm starting to get upset.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 14, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Now I\'m starting to get upset.

I'm finally getting over the stolen winch deal from last Thursday and having my two accounting books stolen out of my truck Friday.

Now a guy who bought a TH350 tranny and 203 T-case from me last spring stopped by today and said it was bad, so he wants his money back. I bought a whole '78 K5 minus motor last winter, and it had a rebuilt TH350 with less than 10,000 miles on it and a good 203 T-case. The motor went out so they pulled it, and never got around to getting another motor; instead they got a newer Blazer or truck. I get it and run out of time to put it together, so I parted it out. When I pulled the tranny, I could tell it was just put in the Blazer recently, and it was very clean, and the torque convertor looked new. Now I guess, something was wrong with it. And I didnt even make a dime parting the thing out.

Plus Ive got another guy's truck in a friend's shop having some repairs done, since it had a few minor problems after I traded it to him, and he needs it back now, even though it's not ready. Ive already lost over $500 on this deal.

And there's more, too, but it would all take too much time to write. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I'm half tempted to give up my hobby, stop trying to help people, and go ask out that pretty girl that works at Schucks nearby.

All I know, is that I've gotten a bunch of good deals in the past, so I guess now its time to get lose the equivilent in stuff I thought I was building up the last couple years. The way it's going, I may have to sell one of my trucks just to get everyone taken care of. (the irony of that is, I wouldnt be able to sell anything, and if I did, I'd probebly get next to nothing)

But, knowing me, I'll just keep paying for stuff that I'm told is good when it really isnt, and reimbersing those who get a bad deal from me, and I'll probably get shot down by the girl at Schucks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Re: Now I\'m starting to get upset.

Don't you write up a contract when you sell stuff?
    I always do just for the reasons you've explained. If you have something you know is good then write it up as such and make it as is. If you have something your not sure of or know is faulty then write it up as such and always keep a signed copy. It sucks to get something faulty, but if your the seller and you told the buyer that you weren't sure of the condition of the product you shouldn't be responsible.
    Me personally, I always have a bill of sale written up on anything,buying or selling. I also not knowing the condition of something will sell it as a core. Telling the person all that I know about the product and let them use their judgment. You don't know what is done with something when its out of your control. If you think about that at all it is quite scary.
    So quit worring about this and go watck Monday Night Football with that fine Shucks counter gal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mountainexplorer

Thats the best advice in these situations. I keep telling myself over and over that I'll always keep a bill of sale for anything, and half the time I don't. That's my own fault. I have a bill of sale for the Blazer when I bought it. I told the guy I sold the tranny to exactly what I was told, but I also mentioned that I did not personally drive the Blazer. I didn't make a bill of sale when I sold the tranny, so, I guess as-is can't apply. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I don't know why I'm complaining, I guess I just needed to vent. It seems like alot of bad things often occur all at the same time or real near. So, looks like I might use that $200 credit from my friend for the stolen winch towards getting a TH350 tranny rebuilt to give away to the guy. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And, unfortunately, I have a night class that goes up until 9:30 p.m. and she works until closing at 9:00, so I cant go in and be the pathetic flirt that I am. Plus, I think I'm out of money and things on my list that I need to buy from Schucks right now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I guess I'm not upset (I rarely get mad), just depressed.

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

dude...all sales are finally, no warrenties, all parts as is. if the [censored] don't work after 6 months thats his issue. you can't always be the nice guy. if he is a friend than treat him so...otherwise i think an appology is more than enough.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Three words...tail light warranty

Once they can't see your tail lights, the warranty is up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I like that one! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Gonna have to remember it.

7. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

ATC warranty is nice too, around the corner warranty, got that learned by a bad deal I made once /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

i do the same thing to a point. key word there is to a point. dont let people run you over. just put yourself in there shoes and ask yourself, would you ask them to fix the problem? if you answer yes than it needs to be corrected, if not let them figure it out. your not a dealership offering a warranty /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I didn't make a bill of sale when I sold the tranny, so, I guess as-is can't apply.

[/ QUOTE ]
    So you offer 12 month unlimited miles warranty on used parts?? Did he bring his warranty papers with him? Used parts are as is where is. The only time you should feel any guilt is if you knowingly sold junk as "Good" or "Rebuilt"...

When I was fresh out of high school I bought an Olds Delta 88 to part out. The 455 ran well and I couldn't hear any noises, it didn't smoke so i sold it as a 'runner' to a guy i knew. He had the opportunity to look it over and listen to it run before buying it. He came back to me two months later complaining a piston skirt had broken and he found it in the pan...

My response was "That sucks, but how is that my problem?"

Rene

10. mountainexplorer

Now I feel stupid. I called the guy back after class at the number he left with my mom. Turns out I confused this guy with another one. This was the guy I sold a TH400 and 203 to. I felt really dumb when I talked with him and he told be, especially after I got all upset and made this post. But I guess he just had the TH400 rebuilt recently and got the T-case put in. He doesnt want me to pay for the re-build, but he thinks the T-case is bad. He's gonna bring it over tomorrow so I can look at it. If it is bad, I'll give him another 203, but I think it's something else.

But now that thats resolved, turns out a truck I traded to friend has a lien on the title. The title we were told was free and clear, just lost, so I traded my friend the truck and he put motor and tranny in it. Now, we found out the title isnt clear, and my friend is ready to drive it. (he needs it to do work before winter). So, looks as if I get to come up with another truck and swap his motor/tranny into it real quick.

When it rains, it pours. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I understand that you want to make things right and be fair to everyone but for someone to expect to be able to bring it back to you however long down the road they wish is just taking advantage of you.

I can see if it was in a few days or even a week but who knows what they could have done to it when a lot of time goes by. By the way THEY are the ones who are responsible for asking for a signed paper or anything to state they can bring it back. They are the ones buying the item they should be the ones to ask for those things and to document it.

You can not be responsible for what others did to the part or truck before you. The world could use plenty more nice people like you but I think you are taking on more then you are responsible for (like finding another truck and putting motor and tranny in for the guy). I am not saying making it right is wrong but in all fairness I think you are doing too much.

12. mountainexplorer

Yes, very true. I just want to keep everyone happy and not come off as a jerk. Although, I realize it's impossible to keep everyone happy.

13. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

That is defiantly true, but for someone to expect things out of you that are way out of line as some of these things are then they are the ones being the jerk. Whether you go out on a limb for them or not you are still a nice person and obviously a fare person. Unfortunately some people will take advantage of that and that isnt right.

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I was once in your shoes. In that I always wanted to make things happy and right and wonderful. But in getting older (oh boy I sound like my parents) OK in getting older, I relized not only are there people out there that will take advantage of you but there are people that will straight up LIE to get there money/stuff back. So I say this to you The dude with the title, do something for him. The guy with the T-case/tranny, listen to what he has to say and advise him accordingly.
    When I sell anything I try to meet the person somewhere when at all possible. I always write up a bill of sale, or say this is as is you know with someone else around. And I will if theres an issue listen to the complaint and deal with it accordingly. Which never includes giving the money back. I have been known to trade though. You have to (unfortunatly) run this like your running a business. You can be firm without being an a$$. Then you will not only profit from your hobbie and help others in the process, but you may even open your own store. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. mountainexplorer

Yeah, thats what I'm planning to do in about a year, is start my own business. My friend and I already have a "general contactors" business license for snowplowing. I'm taking business management in college, and have less than a year left (I hope). Once I'm done, "Mountain Explorers" will become a snowplowing/used parts/repairs/and 4x4 shop, including a club that will hopefully host our own Mud Race several times a year (depending on what type/amount of land we can get).

Until then when we can do some sort of "30-day refund period", while it's still a hobby in my garage, I will be displaying this Sign.