Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now on to the carpeting phase

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here are the door panels I made a while back. I finished them in the seat material so that ought to blend well together. Martha Stewart ain't got nothing on me.

[​IMG]

Here are the seats I will be using

[​IMG]
    I laid the carpet in yesterday morning

[​IMG]

Then when I got home last night I got out my new handy dandy box knife and cut out the insulation over the kick panel air vents.

A few nights ago I cut a tile backing board to use for carpeting the rear cab wall. I got the carpet glued on that board last night and looks very nice. I considered just gluing the carpet to the back wall but thought a smooth appearance would be better.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how I will secure it. I could get carriage bolts and just use the upper holes that secured the gas tank. However, I think I will try to get some heavy duty velcro or something similar so there is no hardware showing on the carpeted side.

For the kick panels I decided not to go with the premade carpet panels. Instead, I bought extra carpet and cut it to fit. I left extra on the bottom and sides so the floor carpet will sit on the excess and make it very seamless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the vent holes I will probably cut the carpet so I can use the excess to flow into the visible portion of the vent hole. Hopefully I can do that and make it look halfway decent.

Overall I am very excited with how the carpet is turning out. I have one area on the passenger side near the hump that is bunched up as a result of the firewall modification. Not sure what I will do about that at this time. Probably won't get out to do more work until next week but I am ready to get the seats bolted down. :wink1:

Here's a last shot since I'm an pic whore :woot:

[​IMG]

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

looks nice how much longer untill every thing is done?

3. Yukon Jack

I am pretty close to being driveable. I still need to plumb my power steering cooler, flush the power steering fluid, bleed the brakes, get the steering column and a few other parts painted then installed and get the guts back into the doors and finish all the weather stripping. My main problem is getting time to work on my truck, just a couple evenings a week if I'm lucky so what shouldn't take too long, takes me a while :( I won't even guess at a completion date - it's just too depressing :D

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Looks Great!

5. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

Nice job!

Sorry if I already missed this post, but a couple of questions if you dont mind?
    1) where did you get the insulation?

2) Where did you get the carpet?

3) The kick panels, and door panels, did you make your self? Did you use the origional panels and just cover over them? What did you use to make the panels?

Thanks in advance!

6. Yukon Jack

I got the insulation from Home Depot. I couldn't see spending the amount of money necessary to buy the insulation made for vehicles and I really don't care about the truck being quiet but with the vehicle all apart I figured now was the time to do at least something. This is a foil type insulation that is used in attics and like on a side of a shop. It is pretty thin and not too expensive.

I bought the carpet from http://www.christiansclassics.com/ Tim Christian is a great guy to buy from and knows his stuff. I bought the floor carpet that extends all the way to the back of the cab. I also bought some bulk carpet through him from his supplier to do the back of the cab and the kick panels.

I used the metal door panels as a pattern and used the same tile backing board for the door panels. It is about 1/8" thick but very rigid and waterproof too boot. I glued some thin interior foam on the backing board and then glued the carpet to the foam. Turned out real nice.

As for the kick panels. I glued the insulation on the kick panels then glued the carpet to the insulation going right to the edge of the door opening. I think the door's rubber seal will meet the carpet and look real nice.

7. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

Thanks

Wow thanks for the quick response. I think I am going to copy of some your ideas. Thanks for posting, and great work on your truck!

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Nice job YJ.:thumb:
    Looks great.

I see it's not an A/C truck.I say this as the vent on the pass. side would be vacume actuated.
    I had a prob. with my kick panel carpet interfering with the operation of that Pass. vent.Vacume wasn't strong enough to overcome the resistance the edge of the carpet was providing.

You prob. just have the manual vent on the drivers side right?So this prob. won't be a problem for you.

9. Yukon Jack

Yep, mine are just the manual type so I shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks for the compliments!

10. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

That is looking pretty awesome. I am trying to figure out my interior situation as I just ripped it up replacing the body mounts and doing a body lift. Yours is definitely inspiring.