Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now the tranny...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ReIN4st, Jan 16, 2001.

1. ReIN4st

ReIN4st Registered Member

Well once I repair the steering box, I'm moving to the tranny. The tranny has only forward gears. I believe its a 700R4. No matter what position the lever is in, it will drive only forward. Even when in park, (with the parking pawl engaged), the engine is under load, and you can tell it wants to go forward. When you shut it off in park, it settles back, and kinda rolls back slightly, thats how I know. Anyway the linkage is fine, the lever on the tranny goes thru all the detents. Could the linkage become disconnected or broken from the valve in the valve body ??? Has anyone ever experienced this before ??? Any info will help !! When I get some time I'm pulling the pan off, so far I only have time to "type" at night...Thanks everyone...John

2. ReIN4st

Does anyone have a clue ???

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

totaly possible. The Detents are on the pivot and there is a seperate linkage that operates the valve body. Hopefully you will find it off or broken and be able to hit your local tranny shop and be good to go for $10 in parts.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. ReIN4st

Thanks Grim...I just wanted something to look forward too. Thats what I feel is the problem. If its not that what else do you think it could be ???

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Hopefully you didn't burn up the low reverse clutch. It sounds like it could be something in the valve body, stuck check ball, maybe the valve body gaskets. Just some ideas to check into. Whatever it is you've got fluid running the wrong way.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>