Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

now the truck wont idle in gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Mar 5, 2002.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

ok some background, 87 350 with tbi and auto trans. i put on an edelbrock tes exhaust system to replace mine which had rusted away. replaced o2 sensor with 3 wire heated version. now the darn truck coughs stumbles and stalls when its warmed up and in gear at idle, if i throw it in neutral or park it idles fine. only engine code is one that its running rich. whats the deal here? anyone experience this?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If you have it, put the original O2 sensor back in and see if that cures the problem. If not, you need to have your TBI adjusted.

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

How does the truck run when you get it going? Does it still sputter when you're doing 55mph, or just at idle in gear? If only at idle, you are probably running too rich like the code says. The cause could be inproper values from the O2.

Try disconnecting the heated O2 and running without it. The ECM should set a default value for the O2 and actually read from a different table.

What made you go for a heated O2?
    What's the rest of the exhaust setup? Headers, Y pipe, dual all the way back? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the TES system.

Thomas.

4. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

the truck runs great on the expressway or at speed for that matter, just has problems ideling. i went with heated o2 due to suggestions that headers dont allow the sensor to maintain high tempurature to give accurate reading.

the exhaust is tubular headers into y-pipe into 3" cat into 3" flowmaster.