Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

now this is low buck(update on race)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by leadfoot067, Jul 29, 2003.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

so i had this motor that was in my truck,had a broken rod,also broke the camshaft and 2 pistons....so im needing a motor for my race car (demo derby)..so it dont hafta last very long /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif so i take this thing apart. go to a buddys house get 2 used pistons and rods rings and all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif..take the sander to the really gouged cylinder /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...put that suker together with used bearings and rings ...got it all installed in the racecar...fired right up..smoked like a SOB for a bit but runs well..on all 8 cylinders...gonna race it friday night /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif..im into this thing about 50 buks after gaskets and oil i wanna hear your low buk storys

so the story goes.....you put crap together and it will blow up /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..got like 5 laps on the damn thing and it expired /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif..worse part was it didnt even have a cool ending /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif the motor just slowed down and squealed like a pig and stopped /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif..didnt even throw parts out the bottom or anything cool /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...o-well

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Re: now this is low buck

I just bought an '83 Buick Century for $50. It came with a new battery and a Chilton's manual. Only needs a few things tinkered with before it will run again. So far all I've bought is a new coil. I also had to pay for the title, so including the cost of going to get it I've spent less than $150. Hopefully it won't be much more than $50 more to get it going. Then I have a good cheap car to drive the crap out of or to sell for a profit. It has a good body and interior, so I should be able to get a buyer for it. That's about the only story I have though, most of my dealings end up with me being on the receiving end of a good thorough dry shafting (ie: trading a '77 seville for an '88 jeep cherokee).

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

got a D60 front for free. even though the bearings came out looking great i decided i weanted to rebuild it for the hell of it. traded a D70 Rear for all the bearings, U-joints and seals needed, spent 35 dollars on other little parts and slapped it under the truck.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGrant

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Ran out of coolant one night year's ago, in an old ElCamino. Stopped to have a look, and having no coolant available, simply whizzed in the radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Even a pint or so helped get it home.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

"get up there and piss in the radiator" - Patrick Swayze, Red Dawn

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Whoa someone who has seen the movie Red Dawn Cool i only saw that movie 1 time and it was like 5 years ago on TBS Superstation one night. It was a cool movie im going to have to rent it or buy it. i havent seen it on ever since....

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that's a good movie Tha stepside is badass

8. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I bought a 88 chrylser lebaron for 200$. the car ran good and drove good all that was wrong was the front left fender was dinted from they guy who owned it. he parked it and forgot to put it in park and it rolled down his front yard into a ditch. 20ft maybe. not a bad dint. It had 150k on it when i bought it and i drove it all around memphis for two years and during that I drove from here to Panama City FL back and forth every other weekend. When i gave it to my brother for his first car in High school he drove it for a year before he got a truck and give it back to me. I then sold it to a guy that my mother worked with for 500$ and the entire time we had it all i did was put a Cat converter on it and a front wheel bearing. It had almost 300k on it when i sold it and the guy i sold it to drove it for another year before it finally died. Talk about getting your moneys worth!!!

9. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Well, howsabout a '69 AMX with a 401 4bbl, 4 speed for a well used Sony walkman that needed batteries. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Turned out the motor jumped timing. Threw in a new timing set, drove it like I stole it for three years then sold it for 3K! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I still miss that ol thing, it was as tough as a tank. I've got a pic somewhere of me flying it 5 feet off the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That little stunt cost me a radator, fan, oil pan and some front end parts....it was worth it though just for the looks on my buds' faces when I hit that hill. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have done stuff like that a few times. My boss had this 87 Merkur XR4Ti. Had a head job done to fix a smoke problem that was really a bad Turbo. Set him back about $2k Gets it running and it keeps have a boil over problem and oil is just running out of it. Looked ok no major body problems clean interrior. He's pissed and ready for it to be gone. I give him $1250 for it. $6 Radiator cap fixes the boil over problem and installe a missing cam shaft seal from the head job ($11).

Waste gate controller is fried...Pig will boost up to 20psi when it hits fuel cut. UNBELIEVABLY FAST CAR. Wife dusts every high school punk in 5.0 in the area. Smoke another Turbo due to the over boosting. $250 for cartrige and drive it for another year. $100 for used tires. $80 for Turbo oil return line.

So three years into owing this thing I have about $2k in it. Wife is in turn lane and gets rear ended. Knuckle head totals his fiances NEW (still had dealer tag) Car on the back of the thing. Poped the bags, Raked the hood back to the windshild. THe back bumper of the merkur at one point was up on the hood over the front tires of the car, Knocked the intake off the engine. Wife not hurt. put a wrinkle in the fender INFRONT of the back door....car has estimated $1800 damage. Does not get totaled. Heck if I will put that into this beater so we just kept driving it for another year. Alternator gives it up ($174). Motor is in bad shape, Turbo is about to go. I have $2200 in it at this point, Got $1800 from the wreck. I trade it for $300 off a Supra with a blown engine. Dealer blew engine taking it to auction.

So I drove it for 4 years for $100 plus oil changes and gas.

Supra After trade in was $1200. Used engine for $700, Rear wheel bearings, $250, few parts here and there including tires I had $3200 in it at 4 years not including oil changes. Sold it for $2800. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

It's not my story, but it does belong to a friend.

He was looking for a truck to build into a competition rock crawler. He came across a '79 Chevy Heavy Half with a flat bed on it. It has a 327 from a Camaro fitted with stock quadra jet, SM465, NP205, 10b front 12b rear, both equiped with 4.10s. Changed the oil, ran a line from the fuel pump to bucket, put on a good battery, and it started right up.

What did he pay for this machine? You might be asking, $200. Now everytime I've got any little problem with my truck, all he says is $200. I'm about to get pissed at him.

His other finds: Edelbrock intake with carb - free!
    Detroit locker - free! (although he's not sure it fits, neither one of his axles)
    Two yellow top Optimas - free!

I just wish I had ability to find these deals.

Kirk

12. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

tt

13. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

I bought a 1991 t-bird from a coworker for 400 bucks. It had a rod knock so he replaced the trans. I bought the car on wendsday, bought a used engine on thursday, towed it home on friday and drove the car back to work on monday. I stripped the enterior and powerwashed the carpet. A buddy sold me some brand new Vogue rims he had to get rid of for 150. I did the bodywork(every panel had at least a door ding) and painted it Ford laser red(candy). Looks brand new and I only have 1150 in it. I'm thinking of dropping my spare 5.0 into it and putting in a tremec and having a nice comfortable daily driver.

14. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

back in the winter of 83/84, home from the first year of college, baby on the way, and our only vehicle was my 76 truck that i had all through high school, used a quart of oil every 60 miles, school was 120 miles away, so took 2 quarts to get to school and 2 to get home every weekend; so we decided to rebuild the motor, plan was since i was so broke we would rebuild another engine i had for cheap and quick and then rebuild the one out of the truck good and right; so...
    i got the old motor i had apart, it had spun a rod bearing, bought another crank out of a block sitting beside a guys garage, used 2 pistons out of different motors, and 3 connecting rods out of different motor, different rod caps, used cam, bunch of lifters and picked the 16 that looked the best, spent 150 for a rebuild kit with gaskets and bearings and such, put it all together and we laughed and said if it lasted a week we would be doing good so we could rebuild the original motor, started up and purred right along, no knocks or leaks at all, would run over 90 in the quarter, not real fast but good enough for an old 76 2wd truck, i drove that truck hard and all over texas, survived a divorce, several movings, and a few girlfriends, finally traded it in when i was getting married again, should have kept the truck and got rid of her /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

rear 10 bolt gernaded so i spent a week looking for a rearend, to no avil, i call my friend to ask about his front and rear end he had laying around, he said just come over and take them, turned out they were the same ratio as my current diffs, so i just slaped the 12 bolt under the rear, and am keep'n the front 10 bolt as a spair, yep. good times. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    back in the winter of 83/84,

[/ QUOTE ] my mom was 3 months pregnant with me!! damn i feel young here sometimes.