Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now this is OBA!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Dec 31, 2003.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Now this is On-Board-Air!! I am going to get one of these for my duramax.

Clicky

It puts out 70cfm. Watch the video on that site, it can run jackhammers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Dang!

I could use one of those under the hood of my Burb!
    Right next to the welder I'm gonna get someday.

My only qestion is where is all the weight in that system, they said 180lbs! I didn't think a compressor and tank would weigh near that much.
    I'd be really curious to see what is all included in the system just to know where that weight is coming from, cause I'd like to think it could be done a lot lighter.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Any idea what one of those cost?

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

I am pretty sure they are pricey... But with anything with that kind of capability, I can understand that.

This compressor is obviously more than any K5 would require to air up tires and run tools. You can almost run a 600lb sand blaster with that thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Short answer, I have no idea how much it costs. Just thought it was cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is that a vane compressor? Our shop compressor at work is a vane type and doesn't use a tank. There is enough storage in the lines and it goes from zero to full out air in under a minute. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Yes, I am assuming when you say vane compressor.. I know it by a rotary screw design. Prolly the same thing, just different terms. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah, basically it requires no tank at all. Its like the ingersol rand towable compressors you see on construction sites. From what I've seen and read, its amazing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

7. tRustyK5

I think vane and rotary screw are different...but both make the piston type look pathetic. Not needing a tank is the best part...space is always limited on our trucks as it is. I'd really like to see a price on these /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

8. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I just got off the phone with a VMAX dealer about their VR-70 air compressor. OMFG their pricey, it cost $7100US installed. Well I guess I will be finding another means of OBA.

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Thats a cool system and all but not that cool!

I think I'll be doing the home made OBA instead too.

10. tRustyK5

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Dang, they're pretty damn proud of that thing!!

Rene

11. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

Wow. That is OBA.

Re: skratch

I don't know where 180lbs came from, but it says on the linked page:
    "The Underhood VR70 air tank weighs only 21lbs and its compact design measures a mere 6" in diameter and 31" long."

31" long! That's not very compact. The compressor in the picture doesn't look 31" long.

Re: 83ZZ502 Jimmy

Vane and rotary screw are not the same.

vane compressor pic on this page

rotary screw pic

12. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Thanks for the clarification /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It sounded good though.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

13. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Dang, they're pretty damn proud of that thing!!

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea they were that proud /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now how much is it for only the unit NOT INSTALLED ?

15. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

C'mon John, with all those toy's you have you've got to get you one of these. lol. You kind of have to wonder with a capacity like that, how resilent it is,(to dust and dirt), and how much it would cost to repair when it fails. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

But for $7100 I could have a really cool trail K5. Something I wouldnt mind beating up. Or, more horsepower. (I cant ever seem to get enough of that and s/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

On the slightly more serious side, I would imagine these things last pretty well. Most portable (tow-behind) compressors can take many hours of abuse and usually don't do it dust free. (Jackhammering, sandblasting, etc.) For that kind of money they ought to last a while (read: forever) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John