Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now what about my heads?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Sep 2, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

In another post, I ask for advice on my 350 (whether to rebuild it or go 383). Now I am wondering the best option for the heads.

When I built my engine, I got some bad advice. I was told I didn't need guideplates with my roller tip rockers. They were wrong. The result is 6,000 miles later I have a destroyed lifter, several bent pushrods, damage to all my valves and most of the spring retainers, and some bent rocker studs.

For my rebuild, if I use the same heads (if the xrays prove okay), they will need some machine work for the guideplates and most all the components will need replacing. The engine was originally a GM crate 350 I bought new from GM back in January.

So, should I have the shop machine these heads and I put them back together the way they were (but with guideplates)?

Should I buy a new set of better performing heads from someone like Summit (like Edelbrock Performer heads of one of the World Products models)?

Or should I buy reconditioned heads built specifically for my application by the local shop?

I want to stay under around $1000-1300 for the heads. I don't really know much about heads. The engine will probably be either a beefy 350 or a 383 and the heads need to connect to a Edelbrock Performer intake (with EGR and exhaust crossover).

Thoughts?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have not read your other post but as for this post for the money you are willing to spend on a pair of heads to either rebuild or buy new you would be best buying a set of AFR 180cc heads. They are 50 state legal and make about a 100 HP difference over stock. They come several different ways. A set of these should cost you around 1300.00 complete ready to run.

3. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

and for the money (cheapest) you should look at a set of dart iron eagles or the world s/r torquer

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have crane roller tip rockers and have had no problems.ive had mine in for about 10000 miles so far with no guideplates.i wander now if mine will last??

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

From what I have been told, the secret is in the pushrod hole in the head. If you have a square hole, you do not need guideplates with non-self-aligning roller tips. If you have a round hole (which I did), you need guideplates.

If you are concerned, pop the valve cover and inspect the spring retainers. It will be blatantly obvious if the rockers have been getting off-center and rubbing. I had a shot lifter, several bent pushrods and so on, but the rig was still running. I actually drove it to the shop to have some work done on the bottom when they found part of the lifter in the oil pan. To be safe, pop the valve covers and look. That's pretty cheap insurance.

6. chulisohombre

i have 76 corvette 2.02 intake heads.they do have the square hole where the lifter goes through.i think the lifters are also self adjusting.the casting is the same as a stock lifter except the tip that contacts the valve.why if it has a square hole does this matter?does it have a guide lower in the head?i know it doesnt move side to side when i put the lifters back in after i changed the heads.

7. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

you also may want to think about doing a remanufactured head from a local machine shop i did this not to long ago and it was $250 with my old heads. THat included all new valves, spring, guides, seals etc.... Just an idea. If you can afford may want to go aluminum though.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The issue on the rockers and pushord hole is the side-to-side movement. I was at the performance shop last night and they showed me the square holes. They didn't look as much square to me as rectangular. They do not allow for side-to-side movement (actually front-to-back movement in respect to the head) of the pushrod like the round holes. This movement is what allowed the rockers to kink bending the pushrods. This movement to a lesser degree is also what allowed the rocker tips to rub against spring retainers and rub depressions in those. And, of course that metal that was rubbed away had to go somewhere.

9. chulisohombre

thanx for the info.at least i know mine are good now. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif