Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now what the heck is wrong?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1skibum, Apr 16, 2002.

1. 1skibum

1skibum Registered Member

Heya all, I hope you can help me. I’m new here.

I own a 1976 K5 blazer
    the other day, I was out driving, and some funny stuff happened.
    After about 90 minutes of highway cruising, I drive in for some gas. as I pull away from the gas station, I notice a *new* sound coming from the truck.

It sounds very similar to a slipping fan belt. It's not very loud, and at normal driving speed, it either goes away, or is drowned out by road noise.

AND, it's not a fan belt. After hearing the grind, I put the trans in neutral, shut off the engine, and coasted down a hill. the noise was STILL there.
    It's not the brake pads, they're only about a year old.

Okay, so soon after, while driving through the neighborhood, I gently step on the brakes, and they “grabbed” like all heck. A slight push on the brake pedal felt like I was jumping on them. I think I also heard a heavy "clunk" when the brakes came on. (unless that was just my head bouncing off of the steering wheel)

that symptom has since gone away, but it’s still making the noise.

Also, about a year ago, I noticed that my front tires were wearing out on the outside edge. I soon took it in for an alignment job, and had the tires rotated. A few months later, and the same thing again. Now they’re both totally bald on the outside (lateral) inch or two.

Are these two problems related?

So, can you please help me? I'm pretty desperate, since I need this vehicle to get to school daily. I'm also a starving college student, so if you could let me know the cheapest way out of this predicament, I'd appreciate that, too.

Thanks, ~G

2. 1skibum

1skibum Registered Member

Oops, sorry. I just noticed that I'm in the wrong forum.

(stupid newbie!)

I'm going to try this again in the proper location.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Have you had an alignment done? had your steering components checked to make sure they are all good? sounds like you got a bad alignment (tires) or a tie rod not quite right, wear and braking