Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NOW what the heck is wrong?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1skibum, Apr 16, 2002.

1. 1skibum

1skibum Registered Member

Heya all, I hope you can help me. I’m new here.

I own a 1976 K5 blazer
    the other day, I was out driving, and some funny stuff happened.
    After about 90 minutes of highway cruising, I drive in for some gas. as I pull away from the gas station, I notice a *new* sound coming from the truck.

It sounds very similar to a slipping fan belt. It's not very loud, and at normal driving speed, it either goes away, or is drowned out by road noise.

AND, it's not a fan belt. After hearing the grind, I put the trans in neutral, shut off the engine, and coasted down a hill. the noise was STILL there.
    It's not the brake pads, they're only about a year old.

Okay, so soon after, while driving through the neighborhood, I gently step on the brakes, and they “grabbed” like all heck. A slight push on the brake pedal felt like I was jumping on them. I think I also heard a heavy "clunk" when the brakes came on. (unless that was just my head bouncing off of the steering wheel)

that symptom has since gone away, but it’s still making the noise.

Also, about a year ago, I noticed that my front tires were wearing out on the outside edge. I soon took it in for an alignment job, and had the tires rotated. A few months later, and the same thing again. Now they’re both totally bald on the outside (lateral) inch or two.

Are these two problems related?

So, can you please help me? I'm pretty desperate, since I need this vehicle to get to school daily. I'm also a starving college student, so if you could let me know the cheapest way out of this predicament, I'd appreciate that, too.

Thanks, ~G

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would check your wheel bearings, ball joints and axle joints too.

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i agree about the wheel bearings

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Whell bearings and Ball joints should be checked. THe standard pry test that the alignment guy would have given to check ball joints doesn't work. Mine were toast and they seemed ok when prying. You get 5000lb of truck leavering against them and it a whole new story.
    I would still do a through check of the brakes. Might have a hung caliper or a broken return spring in the drums. I have a worn backing plate on a drum and it allows the show to cock sideways and cause EXACTLY the same lock up deal as you say you had. It's intermitant also. Where the backing plate will wear is the point that the shoes touch it. You can fill in the worn area with a welder and grind it back to shape. I'll be doing that VERY soon on my truck.
    If your truck is still full time that may have a lot to do with the wear on the tires. Full time is brutal on the fronts. If you have miss matched tires it gets worse. With full time you MUST rotate religiously. You got to keep the tire wear even or it will fry tires and it will cause a loss of power and lower your millage. If you keep the tires right then it's on par with a part time transfer case.

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

So what is a sure fire way to test the integrity of ball joints?

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thought I would chime in with the others and reaffirm the checking of your wheel bearings. Mine was making a squeaking sound fromn the driver front. I could only hear it when the vehicle was rolling with no engine or when driving relatively slow beside a wall or solid barricade or something. It would also grab and pull to the left on braking. Turns out my inner hub bearing was pretty much toast. It hadn't frozen completely yet, but it did require me to cut it off the spindle with my edge grinder.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

on the tires wearing like that your axle may be bentor u take corner way tooo fast like i do /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. 1skibum

Me Again.....

So, I have the day off, and I've finally gotten around to dealing with this. I get out my trusty book, & look for the section on balljoints and wheel bearings.

It says: these vehicles require special tools and equipment for front wheel bearing checks and adjustment, so this procedure should be left to a dealer service dept.

Crap.

Well, does anyone know where to start on this? I can't afford to take it to a shop right now. do any of Y'all know a good place to begin looking for directions on this project? I've never taken any of this apart before. Is there any chance I'll make things worse by going it alone?

Tbanks.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

#1 Get a better book.
    #2 You need a hub socket and not much else to remove and check the wheel bearings. I got mine at a local parts store for about $10. It just has 4 'prongs' on it.

My Chilton's explains the procedure for hub removal and setting it up again after service and inspection...

Rene

10. 1skibum

Hmmm. My book is the chilton's too. weird.
    I'll go look for it. but untill then, anyone know any websites where the directions would be displayed? I don't have time to get to the city to find a book today darnit, and I wanna get this done.

also, if I do this myself, is there much potential for me to cause even more irreperable damage?

thanks

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml</a>

12. 1skibum

Cool, thanks!