Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

now what.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, May 15, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>well i got the Energy Suspension poly body mounts on yesterday. When i started taking the old ones out i noticed there was spacers under the first two mounts under the tub, so i took them out. I got new mounts because my doors and hardtop fit poorly and i thought i was going to be able to get the soft top on but now i can't. I put the new mounts on and lowered the body back onto the bushings, and the front of the tub was too low and the fenders would not line up (but the doors and top fit like new), so i had to put the spacers back in to get the fenders to line up, and the floor touched the frame in the front, so i'm back where I was (well, the bushings tightened up the ride a bit which is good). Is the tub screwed up? Someone put all new floors in it before i got it and they curve up instead of being flat, could this cause the mount in the floor to be too high and body to sit too low on the frame? ANYONE got a tub for me!?</font color=blue>

2. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Ok i went to the body shop in town (the guy is doing bodywork and paint on a 72) and he said i need the boxes under the tub that go from the rockers almost to the frame. Mine are completly gone and i can almost see where they were (NJ, the land of a million salt trucks, what else would you expect?) Anyone ever replace these? there's a 71 K5 in town that was sold and now mysteriously re-apeared so i looked under that. it looks like it bolts on. How hard is this to do?</font color=blue>

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check with Grim Reaper, he has a 75 and posted about this info a while back. His e-mail addy is in his profile I think.........good luck.

God, I hate salted roads..........bye bye East Coast - NO salt used in Oregon

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey biggrey71,
    This topic has come up on blazer-net.com and there are no aftermarket vendors that make the rockerboxes you need although there were a few dudes talkin about making them, I duno if they ever did but the message board there may be a good place to start!?
    Other than that finding a donor may be your only hope!?
    If you need any measurements let me know I can measure mine!!
    Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

5. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>There's a restored 71 in town and i got the measurements. The boxes on that truck are bolted on, is that that the way they came? How do i make those? </font color=blue>

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes mine are bolted on also! I wouldn't know how to make them but I rember reading somewhere that if a frame mounted fullsize rollcage is on your list of mods then the rockerboxes can be eliminated!?
    good luck

7. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I heard that too and I might put in a floor cage then make outriggers from the frame to under the floor mounts for the bar (check the current issue of 4W&OR). how do I get my tub straight? I can probably make something, and if not, I know a guy who fabricates tube-frames for dragsters so he can</font color=blue>

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya, that is a good artical to duplicate!
    getting it straight, hmmm , well mabie a couple bottle jacks at the same time your outriggers are being welded can hold the rig's body inplace then the welds will hold it there!!?? Just thinking out loud [​IMG] !!
    good luck

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Large body shops may have an hydraulic "stretcher" that can straighten almost any type of body. A car crashed into my father's Sentra. Both doors and the tub were totaled. The guy who fixed it got two new doors and straightened the body with that "stretcher". I didn't know they even existed.

Hope this helps.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]