Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Now whats wrong?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkyScraper, Jun 2, 2002.

1. SkyScraper

SkyScraper Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm just a bit upset with my Truck today. I drove it all-day Friday and Saturday Fishing without a problem. I got up this morning late. I had to take some items back and low and behold it won't start????? Bad thing is...it was blocking all my other trucks. I couldn't get them out cause of this one. (BAD DAY!!!!) So after hours of working on it I found that that the Ignition module had went out on it. So I replaced it. Once I did that the Truck ran again. Great I thought!! But now it has hardly any power. The Kick down no longer works??? Why? I didn't remove anything but what I replaced and if I did I would have seen it. especially since I have scoward the entire engine compartment looking for a remove vacuum line or something indicating there was a problem.

Anybody have any ideas what would cause this to happen by just replacing the ignition module? Or do you think I accidently pulled something off some where. Like a vacuum line. Maybe one is off a the tranny (but I can't find any at the tranny anyhow).

Thanks for any help....I'm at a lose for words and ideas,

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking a vac line...... did you remove the dist to replace the module? Maybe it isn't timed correctly.

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

what kind of module did you replace it with and what kind was in it before?

Ill bet you turned the distributor while you were working on it.. (and retarded it)

mike

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

if you dident use a GM modual...more than likly that is your prob...i have had and so have my friend had problems with non gm moduals...they work but not well..just my .02

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You may have also touched the TV cable adjustment tab and knocked the cable out of place when you were back there working on the distributor. That would explain your crappy performance AND you loss of kickdown.

6. SkyScraper

First of all thank you all for your input and help!!! It is truly appreciated!

jimmyjack,

No I didn't remove the Dist. only the Cap and rotor.

Mike Reeh, & Chaz88K5,

The one in it didn't look like one made by GM, but the new one is a Hong Kong made Module (That says it all /forums/images/icons/smile.gif). I tried moving the distributer last night in an attempt to see if I could. That way if it did move I would know that my problem is in the timing for the exact reason that you pointed out (Mike).

CanmoreK5,

I assume your talking about that cable that comes off the carburetor then off to the Tranny? It seems like the kickdown is working but....I'll explain more below.

I have had the timing checked and they seem to think it is fine. I'm going to check it out myself today. Anyhow I made sure that at TDC (compression stroke) the rotor was sitting on the #1 plug wire. Which it looks like it is. But it still isn't running right. Here is what it was doing last night b4 I went in for the night.

When you first leave in it it feels slugish and the trans doesn't shift till late. RPMs get real high before it shifts. Does this for all 3 gears. Before I couldn't hardly feel the shifts. (Know I wonder if it is going to shift at all). Once I get going and all 3 gears are running I punch it to get the kickdown to engage. It does engage now but it takes a lot to get it to. Only problem is when I punch it, it back fires out the carburetor a few times then it kicks down but only for a short time. I noticed when going up small inclines it can hardly pull it's own weight. I start slowing down. I give it more gas and it doesn't respond by picking up speed. I only continues to slow down. Steep hills I almost can't make anymore. (This is very strange?) Once I get it back home and put it in park the idle seems fine. I can rev it up and no backfire. Seems like I wouldn't have a problem at idle. Man I hope this isn't a sign that something major is going out /forums/images/icons/frown.gif!!!

Any ideas? Do you guys think it is only the timing or could it be something more?

Thanks,

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

not sure, but it still kinda sounds like a vacuum leak?? normally that hose that is connected to your vacuum modulator runs to the carb. or to a plug near the back of the intake manifold near the distributor. i've had one barely hanging on and it looked connected, but it wasn't. anyway, g/l

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the same problem I had. Are the jets oversized? Also, I had a slight tear in the hose that went from the vacuum advance on the distributor to the carb. You couldn't tell by looking at it until I took it all the way off, but when I replaced that hose and all the plugs, the problem went away. It was a cheap fix. But still may want to look at the jets. If you are overfueling, you'll get the same reaction as starving it out.

9. SkyScraper

Well here is my latest update of this darn problem. I still have not figured it out. What I have done is this. Now I have replaced the Distributor Cap and it made no difference (Now I have a extra one /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) I also replaced all Vacuum lines that were cracked or possibly rotted and ran a Vacuum test and the lines. They all tested properly at about 17 at idle. They flucuated when reving the motor. I thought that was to be expected, of course I'm not sure about that. Next thing I'm going to try is Shane 74 has suggested. I'm going to switch out the plugs and check my jets las, becasue I don't think the jets are oversized. But it can't hurt for checking it out.

I feel like I lost my keys and I keep looking in places I no they are not at, but I keep looking any how trying to find my keys.....I think George Carlin said this or something similar.

Thanks for all the help guys, if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Best Regards,

10. SkyScraper

Well here is my latest update of this darn problem. I still have not figured it out. What I have done is this. Now I have replaced the Distributor Cap and it made no difference (Now I have a extra one /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) I also replaced all Vacuum lines that were cracked or possibly rotted and ran a Vacuum test and the lines. They all tested properly at about 17 at idle. They flucuated when reving the motor. I thought that was to be expected, of course I'm not sure about that? Next thing I'm going to try is what Shane 74 has suggested. I'm going to switch out the plugs and check my jets last, becasue I don't think the jets are oversized. But it can't hurt for checking it out.

I feel like I lost my keys and I keep looking in places I no they are not at, but I keep looking any how trying to find my keys.....I think George Carlin said this or something similar.

Thanks for all the help guys, if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Best Regards,

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Maybe you crossed two plug wires? Best to double check where they are all supposed to go.

12. SkyScraper

I have double, even tirple checked it and they are in their proper places on both the cap and to each plug.

Thanks for the help,

13. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

is the vacuum line still plugged in to the vacuum modulator? i've seen no mention that you checked this? you may want to check (as you said you were doing) the condition of the sparkplugs (and make sure they are in securely, not loose). i wouldn't think the jets would have anything to do with this problem as it happened all of a sudden. do you have a full 12V going to the coil? make sure you didn't accidentally bend down the tab on top of the rotor (that makes contact to the button/tab on the coil bottom (inside the cap). check your connections (plugs) on the new ignition module you installed. also, did you use that white stuff that came with it, or was there enough where the old module was? if i remember correctly, it is supposed to help conduct heat away from the module. i'd start with the basics, double check everything you've done, look for missing or loose vacuum lines, maybe run a compression test, check condition of sparkplug wires (with an ohm meter), fuel filter, etc. i kinda think it's something that you've done or overlooked, i doubt it's something else that is wrong? (BUT, YOU NEVER KNOW) what about your gas, could you have gotten some bad gas or moisture in there? or moisture in your dist. cap?? anyway, that's all i can really think of. and, i'm not trying to dis you or anything like that, it just sounds like it should be something simple (of course i'm not there to see it for myself) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif just, keep us posted on what you've checked and what you have done or not done!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Did you Check the coil. My friend had a K5 That did similar (would rev and idle good in nuetral and park but when in drive it had no power and barely ran sometimes) He ended up changing the coil and it fixed it. Hope this helpes, good luck.

James

15. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

just a little trick to see if you have a vacume leak take off the air cleaner and put a CLEAN rag or just cup your hands over the carb air intake if the engin just boggs down and does not die you have your vacume leak

jc71355 has a good point check the coil just grab one off one of your other trucks and try that good luck
    -scott

16. SkyScraper

Believe it or not I finally figured it out. YA!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Well I thought about it some more and determined that the ignition module was still the problem because every thing else checked out. So I took both modules to AutoZone to get them tested (Not my favorite parts store but...) The original one tested bad but the new one tested good. So I kept it and asked for some silicon. They sold me 2 packets vs the 1 packet that came with the Module when I bought it. I also bought a fuel filter this time. When I got home I placed both packages of the silicon on the module instead of one like the instructions suggested when I bought it. That plus the Fuel filter fixed the problem and the truck is back to normal.

I want to thank you all for your help!! Everyone gave some excellent suggestions and it help decifer where the problem was. If I can ever provide help to you or anyone here I sure will try and help