Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP-200 & NP-202 ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tarussell, Jan 12, 2005.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have exsploded pictures/drawings of the older NP200/202's ?
    I am needing to find some info on them and I do not have much history on each case.
    Any help is greatly appreciated ! TIA , Tom

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Found this for you Tom, might help.

Call Vintage Power Wagons 1-888-695-0578 and get the Military Manual called "Power Train Body & Frame" for the M-37 and it's variants. It has the NP-200 case rebuild chapter in it that is very detailed.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

sounds like someone doing dual outputs to me... there was a thread on this over at pirate recently IIRC

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

from what I gathered reading that thread, you can't have dual rear outputs and traditional twin stick (one for front axle/one for rear). You still have a twin stick, but one just controls front output engage/disengage, and the other is the centered rear output as well as Hi-Lo-N. And the offset third output is always engaged, which would be where you'd slap a parking brake on.

Oh yeah, and as far as their uses: the 200 was in the M37 and the M715 series Jeeps, it has the rear parking brake drum. The 202 was used in 60's and some early 70's IH pickups and travelalls. the 201 (which is bigger) was used before the 202 in IH trucks, I'd say 50's-early 60's. I have also heard that some older Dodges use the 201. I know its not too much help since its so vague, but I figured I'd toss it out there anyway.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guy's !

I am looking into this because I want a rear mounted parking brake . I saw the thread on Pirate and I really like the thought of using the divorced 205 parts to retain the front side 32 spline out put shaft .
    I wanted to get some info on the NP-200 and realted parts to make sure that I use the better parts that are available .

J-Cricket , thanks for the number for that manual !

My other thought was to make the side rear output work for a offset diff ( like a Land Cruiser ) .....just a thought - it seems a few folks have done this with Cruisers and appears to work well .

Anyone with any other info - I am all ears !
    Thanks , Tom

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A guy I work with is really into M-715's and probably has the manual for the NP200 or knows where to get the info..........however he's out of the office this week. I'll try to remember to check with him when he get's back.

As a side note, the NP200 is relatively noisy (gear whine) and has a tendency to get hot if driven on the highway for extended periods of time. This is mostly due to the fact it's not a direct drive style t-case.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Please get what ever info /leads you can from him .
    As I understand it ( from a thred on Pirate ) the gear set is identical between the 200 & 205 . They both have a 1.96 to 1 low range ratio and since the gear swaping is sucessful it must be true .
    I'll bet your right about the case getting hot on long highway runs due to the lack of direct through drive .
    If I am successful at converting my 205 I hope not to have that problem since the idler gear and rear passenger output won't have resistance on them when going down the road .

Thanks for the info ! Tom

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status