Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np 200

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by curtsk5, Mar 8, 2006.

1. curtsk5

curtsk5 Registered Member

i am building (built for mud, not rocks) a 75 blazer with d60, 14 bolt and 44" boggers. i would like to have 14-15 inches of suspension lift. the np 205 driveline angles scare me to death. i have found a np 200 and the math says this one is the way to go. has anyone had any experience's with the np 200. it will be driven on the street also.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

You may want do some research on an old Dodge Power Wagon web site to learn about the NP-200.
    From what I have learned they are the grandfather of the 205 and share many of the same dimensions therefore most every part will interchange if selected correctly.
    The gears are slightly wider, than 205 stuff, and they use coarse input/output shafts ( 1-3/8" 10 spline ). Over all a very good/strong case !

HTH's Tom

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

iirc the 200's have an offset rear driveshaft. I have also heard stories of them not liking sustained speeds of over 50 mph.

I have a divorced NP201 with a PTO and I'm debating whether or not to keep it or sell it. It's similar, except a centered rear output.

4. curtsk5

curtsk5 Registered Member

thanks guys for your help. i'm trying to decide tonight so i can start work on it tomorrow. what do they not like about substained speeds over 50mph?

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get a div 205 and some CVs. I have one in my 89, not that much lift and no CVs, works OK. Shifts kinda hard, but it must be just this one, cause the other 205 I have is silky smooth....

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Oh, its just some secondhand info I remembered hearing. I would check out a Dodge or Jeep forum for more info on your transfer case.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The case tends to build up some heat due to the idler gear and counter gear being driven all the time instead of turning from the whipping action from the thick oil.
    More gears being used than in a straight through design. Higher highway speeds tend to build more heat . It's not really a problem that is likely to kill parts on the road but it does require more frequent oil changes than other designs.

HTH's Tom