Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np 203 gear range with a part time kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Apr 1, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I bought the truck and it was already converted to part-time. My question is if the gear range is:
    L loc
    L
    N
    H
    H loc

on a stock unit, what is it with the part time kit? I assume 2wd is where H use to be, and H loc works the same as well, so is the rest of the gear positions the same?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The stock unit was an all time 4 wheel drive transfer case, the part time kit converts it ti 2wd/4wd in both high and low ranges.

Stock:
    LLOC - 4 wheel low front and rear locked together
    L - 4 wheel low front and rear open
    N
    H - 4 wheel high front and rear open
    HLOC - 4 wheel high front and rear locked together

Part Time Kit:
    LLOC - 4 wheel low front and rear locked together
    L - 2 wheel low
    N
    H - 2 wheel high
    HLOC - 4 wheel high front and rear locked together

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

hmm, I dont think I can shift into L loc because of my body lift, when I first got the truck I didnt know it existed. I knew H loc works because I did some front wheel driving when a rear u-joint went out.

As far as wheeling goes, with a dana 44 in front, would L be bettter than L loc as far as trying not to break the front end?

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

A body lift can impede the full throw of your t-case shifter but I don't remember which way is effected more. I'd agree that L would be easier on the front end because with a part time kit your not sending power to it. As far as LLOC is concerned with 35's, a Big Block and a traclok up front... I'd be conservative on that dana44 or you might end up popping something. For instance, climbing up a hill and getting a good bounce going with a lot of throttle might cause you some trauma but other than that , it should hold up well if you keep it maintained and don't get out of control. Sounds like a well set up rig though.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well...as far as well set up goes....it is still being put together, but I have all those parts, the 14bff is installed and the new 44 w/Trac lok is going in soon. I hope it works well when it is done.