Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np 203 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Nov 10, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have a 76 dodge w200. it has an np 203 full time setup. and the standard lo loc, low, n, hi, and hi loc configuration on the t case lever. what does lock mean? i thought it locked it into 4wd so it wouldnt disnengauge at high speeds. but when the tires are spining, if i pull it into lock it makes and engageing sort of sound, and all 4 will spin not just one front and one rear. it does this in lo or hi, and i have been going no where in hi and pulled it into loc and driven out of some places. ive had a friend spin it in the mud and pull it into loc, while i was outside watching, i didnt notice any thing different but it drove right out. i know its not a "locker" but what does it do?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

The 203 case has a differential simular to your axles. When in std. Lo or Hi, it will send more power to whichever end has the least traction. In Loc it acts like a Locked Diff. It will send equal ammounts to both ends.

3. milspecjimmy

sweet, thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Just to make sure you understood it right, when you put it in Lock, it becomes like any other part time foourwheel drive in the 4wd position.
    It's not a locker, and it will just give equal power to front and rear, so when you have on tire that is slipping either front or rear, you will still have one pulling you out, unlike when it's unlocked, one spinning tire can stop you from moving.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ? i thought it locked it into 4wd so it wouldnt disnengauge at high speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's a good way to blow out the drive shafts, axle shafts and transfer case. LOC is loose surface use only. You don't want to use it on pavement.

6. milspecjimmy

yeah
    i have never engauged it at any time on pavement, unless it was too slippery with ice and snow to go far. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif except once when i was pulling a friend out of a pole line and i was on the road /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you want more traction on dry pavement for straight driving, you are OK.
    I used to do that to take off quickly with no tire spin, but then take it off, before making any turns.