Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 203 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blackmagic, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

NP 203 conversion questions?

Has anyone used the Superwinch conversion kit? is it better or worse than the MileMarker kit? I am going to order one of them from Summit and wanted to get feedback, rants, ideas, moral support, horror stories, other questions, etc...

The superwinch kit has one solid piece where the milemarker kit has four separate keys that... I really don't know what they do. here are pictures.
    MileMarker
    [​IMG]

Superwinch
    [​IMG]

I have a little mechanical skill. I can follow directions quite well though. Is this something that I can do in my driveway?

Thanks,
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDominic

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yep one was in my truck when I bought it. It's now on my bench and I use it to hammer on stuff. The problem with that kit is it guals the cross shaft and if you ever want to go back to part time the shaft is ruined. It is even more critical about shaft end play. If it's loose at all the goes "tink, Tink, Tink, Tink" everyttime the truck moves.

After having done the Superwench kit, the 501 mile marker and the Mile marker shaft kit. The shaft kit is the way to go. It takes out a ton of driveline slop, removes all of the original differential, less critacl about end play then the other two kits. Yeah it's a lot of money but I feel it's worth it after having the rest. I have a write up on the main page.

3. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

well hmm.... A new shaft kit would be great if I could afford it. I cannot though. Out of the two part-time kits that I mentioned above, which one of those two would be the better (cheap) kit.

I have read the article about it in the Milemarker brand. It is awesome and very informative. Does anyone know about the superwinch brand kit? Is the one piece kit better or worse?

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDominic

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have the Mile Marker kit. The four pieces mount together as one, with no slop or anything, and actually hold/encase the shaft. It's an awesome set-up and mine takes lots of abuse. I have Superwinch hubs though, and love those too! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

The problem with both of the kits you have pictured is the needle bearing set shown in the photos. There is nothing in the NP203 that in any way equals the "wimpiness" (I can't think of a better word) of those cheap, bearings. I found them in the bottom of my T-case a while back and it took some head-scratching to figure out what they were and where they came from. I have the superwinch kit installed. I don't know how long it had been in there (from previous owner), but the needle bearings were destroyed. I filed a groove on the shaft and put a retainer clip to regulate end-play and it's working ok for now, but only time will tell.

Maybe the previous owner installed them incorrectly - I don't know. Anyone else have the same problem?