Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP-203 Questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbuickgs, May 21, 2006.

1. bigbuickgs

bigbuickgs Registered Member

I just bought a 1977 GMC 3/4 ton. It has a 4-speed and a 203 transfer case. it seems like it is in 4 wheel drive all the time, which makes sense since it is a full time t-case; however on the floor next to the shifter there are the following marks.
    L loc
    L
    N
    H
    H loc
    it looks like to me that there is 5 positions for the shifter to me in. I can get it into 3. One being neutral, one all the way forward which is low (2 or 4?), and one all the way back which is high (2 or 4?) obviously all the way back works best for on road. but is it in 4WD at this point? and if so is it posible to get it in 2WD? What do the letters on the shifter plate mean? And how can i tell if it has a 2WD converstion kit on it? I know this is a lot of questions, but i don't know anything about this truck and any help would be great. Thank You.

2. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

L loc-4 wheel with the front hubs locked
    L -2 wheel low
    N- nuetral
    H- 2 wheel high, is where I drive mine (hubs unlocked)
    H loc- 4 wheel high with the front hubs locked

You should be able to feel the gears mesh when your swithing from low gears to high gears, I have always been told to do it with the trans in nuetral while stopped. Also, there should be 2 clicks on each side of nuetral, my t case is very slight so you might not have felt them and shifted past them. If you have it all the way down that means you're in 4 wheel but if you hubs aren't locked in then I believe you'll still be in 2 wheel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still kind of new myself and am telling you what I've been told. Hope that helps. Welcome to CK5.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

What littlejimmy said i believe is if you have the part time kit. But i could be wrong.

I have to give my a slight nudge to get into each gear. Going from Hi to Lo you need to be stopped and in neutral.

4. duanel

duanel Registered Member

if it is a nonconverted 203 the loc would apply equal force to the two axles and non loc the t-case acts as a differential so all four positions are 4 wheel drive. and with mine it is hard to get into loc so it does seem like there is only 3 positions but there is 5.

5. bigbuickgs

Thank you for the welcome and the help. I just looked at the hubs and there is no way to lock or unlock them, at least not on the hub itself, I will try it tomorrow and see if I did shift past them, it just doesnt seem like there is enough travel in the lever to hit 5 positions. If it is posible to shift it to 2wd than why is it called a full time transfer case? I have also read that these only came on automatics, but my truck has a factory manual. is there any other was to lock of unlock the hubs or is it posible that they are always locked?

6. bigbuickgs

If I put different hubs on it that I can unlock then, I can basically use it as a 2wd. The shaft will still have power but it is not going to the wheels.

7. Citizen Rider

Sounds like you have auto lock hubs. basicly all you can do is hope they lock when you need 4wd. My personal recomendation is get you a set of Warn locking hubs if you can afford them. about $70 usually.

BTW- Hi is just about straight up and down into the air. and Lo loc is about 20*-30* from the floor.

8. bigbuickgs

How does is work if it is converted? How can I tell?

9. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

hey man, I own a Chevy with a 203 aswell. I can not get mine into Low Loc, no matter what I do, and I have lubed, and cleaned the linkages. But I still got nothing so i won't force it. Apparently this kind of stuff happens to a NP203. I tried asking about it in an earlier post, and that is answer i got pretty much. If someone can prove me wrong I would be very glad. I need low loc.

10. Citizen Rider

Have you tried moving the truck back and forth and working the lever? Sometimes its not inline and a little movement will let it drop in.

11. bigbuickgs

I am not to concerned with the Low or high Lock. I am just trying to confirm that there is no way to get it into 2wd without a parttime kit. And If mine has a parttime How can I tell. What are the positions with the kit installed?

12. duanel

duanel Registered Member

well if it has a part time kit the two positions you can get it into is two wheel drive the loc would engage the front axle via the chain in the t-case. I kind of doubt you have a part time kit (but one way to find out is go to a dirt feild and try doing a donut easy in 2wd little harder and not as tight circles in 4wd) and atleast on the 73's full time don't have locking hubs. and i have to be in gear to engage loc and even then it is tricky I am pretty sure I need to adjust my linkage.

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

4L
    2L
    N
    2H
    4H

When converted

14. Citizen Rider

wrong

4lo
    2lo
    N
    2hi
    4hi

15. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Oops, I had a dyslexic moment there...Atleast someone answered his question!

16. duanel

duanel Registered Member