Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 203 QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bouncytruck, May 16, 2002.

1. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I know this topic has come up serveral times in the past but I'm still confused. I have a NP203 with a part-time kit in my '69 K-5 (not stock). Others have posted the shift paterns as:
    LLOC - 4 wheel low front and rear locked together
    L - 2 wheel low
    N
    H - 2 wheel high
    HLOC - 4 wheel high front and rear locked together

Is this pattern from the Firewall back (Firewall, LLOC, L, etc.) or the other way around.

Also, I would assume that for normal street driving, I would want to be in 2-wheel high. What happens if it is in 4wd and the hubs are not locked? What about 2wd with the hubs locked?

Thanks!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Low to the fire wall is correct. Push it all the way forward to get 4 low.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sorry got ahead of myself and didn't finish answereing. If the hubs are unlocked and you acidently get it into Loc no problem Your supose to purposly do that about every 200 miles for a couple miles. The 203 has a resivior in the tail housing that supllies oil to a plastic pump that pump pushes the oil into the tail shaft bearings. From there it travels up the rear shaft and lubricates the top chain gear. That resivior gets filled buy oil slung off the chain when it's in normal full time configuration. Need to make sure you do that regularly. I usualy try to do it every time I fill the gas tank I throw it in High Loc and drive it for about 5 miles at speeds areound 45mph.
    Over fill the case by getting the truck nose down is also a good idea. It will help prevent bearing damage. It will get the fluid level high enough that oil will slosh into the tail resivior. Also that case runs MOTOR oil not gear oil. The plastic pump can break if Gear oil is used and it gets real cold.

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim! It seams as though you are "the source" for 203 info. I appreciate your help. I did fill it with 10W-30 but over filling it is a good Idea. I'll have to park with the the front of the truck pointing down hill and top it off.