Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 203 seems strange when shifting...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73BlazerT, Mar 21, 2002.

1. 73BlazerT

73BlazerT Registered Member

It seems like I don't have all my transfer case positions, right now I have the front driveshaft off but when I go through the gears it seems like Hi-Lock is the only High that works, neutral I can find and the two Low positions I can find also. There seems to be no regular High, just High-Loc (all the way back). It seems if I move it up, it will go into the regular High but when I put it in gear there is just a faint grinding sound. The T-case was rebuild 2 years ago and has rarely been used.

Any ideas?

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That sounds right! without the front driveshaft in, shifted in HI the front output gets all the power. You need to Hi-loc both front and rear outputs so the power is locked front and rear output and power can get to the rear.

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

TopOff is correct. unless you have a part time kit, when you take off the front drive shaft, high and low positions will not power the vehical. Only the loc positions will. make sure you don't put the tranny into park while it is making the grinding noises!!!! Kill the engine then shift.