Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np 203- to- frame brace

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mark livingston, Jun 9, 2003.

1. mark livingston

mark livingston Registered Member

ive seen a picture of a steel brace attatched to the passenger side of an np 203 connecting it to the passenger side frame rail. where can i get one of these cool things. the factory bar on my 79 k5 is cracked, useless. any help is greatly appreciated.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think most people just took them off because they caused too much stress on the drivetrain, I'd tell you to search but I don't remember the whacky post it was in, so I think your actually better without it, as long as you keep an eye on the wear of the mounts.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think most people just took them off because they caused too much stress on the drivetrain, I'd tell you to search but I don't remember the whacky post it was in, so I think your actually better without it, as long as you keep an eye on the wear of the mounts.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    FUMES!! my man, ya got it backwards. i have seen many a cracked TH350 from not having any brace of any type. the brace the origonal poster is talking about is mounted with bushings, so it has a bit of move to it. if needed i can post up some pictures of one in a truck and one out of a truck so folks can see the mounting of them.

with just the torque bar on it is ok, but i prefer the frame brace. Or2play had a broken TH350 BH and i belive the problem was due to not having the brace on there. with no brace you could watch the 203 shifter move like an inch or so on an accelleration. with the brace it is less than half inch. makes a big differnece.
    Grant

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Mark,
    you are gonna hate me for saying this, but pay the 25 dollars and put a post up in the wanted section. i let a fellow member use the one of my 74 blazer for his 74 burban. when it was time for him to buy one for me to put back in my rig he posted up here and like 5 people had them. he got one for 20 dollars, complete to the door.
    you can get them from the GM parts store. and the urathane bushings are 20 dollars From LMC. LMC sells the bracket but i cant find a book now to get the price.
    GRant

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You have to be careful mounting the t-case too hard, if the motor mounts aren't good, the motor will twist the transmission in two. The drivetrain mounting stiffness needs to be about the same front to rear or things break.