Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cmoe, Mar 3, 2000.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Anyone of you K-5 er's rebuilt on lately? I need to replace all the chain, bearings and seals in mine and wanted to know how much I am lookking at spending in parts? Thanks!!

<font color=red>C<font color=green>'<font color=blue>m<font color=orange>o<font color=purple>e

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well the chain will run you about $90. seals are pretty cheap from the right places like www.southerngear.com. Bearings rarely fail on these if they are still full time and have the proper oil (motor oil). If they are converted to part time the one bearing that gets lunched is the tail shaft bearing. Unless your haveing problems with the reduction box you can change the chain with the case still in the truck. Just need to put a jack stand under the booger and remove the cross member to get at the front output. Quite honestly unless you got a couple of buds to help pull that booger and lift it to a bench your might be better off leaving it in. Your back will deffinatly appreciate it. I have rigged a jig that I can bolt to the saddle of my jack to get it out but I have the mothers off all jacks. It is rated 6 tons weights about 200lb has a 6 ft long base made with 1/2 inch plate for the main body and has a 36 inch lift hight. It is about 40 years old. You would be hard pressed to find one that big that will reach up to that case. The case is so tall that even with a 4 inch lift I have to jack up the side of the truck to clear the frame with the jack all the way lowered..

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Shop around, I have seen complete kits(less the chain) for around $100-119.00
    They includle needle bearings,shims,roller bearing, seals, and gaskets
    no hard parts(safts,sprokets,gears)
    Have fun, and Good luck