Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 205 Experts - Need Your Advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I pulled the output shaft out of my NP205 case. This case is out of an 85 One Ton truck.

Lo and behold there is an inch and a quarter chip out of the case housing edge at the inner shifter shaft. Do I have a serious problem? Will this create any additional problems down the road? Should I trash the case or ignore it.

Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated, oh 205 swami. Please see the holy pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Looks like a chisel mark someone made when takin the output off at one time or another. LOL.

If the case has no cracks, holds fluid when sealed and theres no obvious "metal floaties" I'd say you'll be alright.

My .02 is not golden so see what the majority says before makin a final decision.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I just had mine partially apart too. :(

Looks to me like it was either designed that way (obviously been run like that, the gasket is proof) or someone went in and ground it out for oil return. Thats what that hole is, no? (again, the gasket has a hole in it as well)

I AM on an old laptop, so I could be wrong, the display isn't that clear.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It looks to me like a chunk was knocked out right at the edge of the shift shaft pilot hole. It's about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches, decent size break. I just wanted an opinion from someone that has worked on these cases before and is familiar with them.

Since this is my first 205 cherry popper I thought it would be wise to ask an experienced hand before continuing with a full rebuild and getting it back together only to have a problem later on.

Is it possible to lay a weld fill and file it to shape?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

those 205s are like tanks!!!!! run it till it blows!!!!!

if no cracks or oil leaks seal it and maby some tach and seal for good measures.

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

This is what I would do.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've never had a 205 apart... but I do work with cast-iron transmission housings all day long, and I see all kinds of impact damage to them. From what I see in the pics you've posted, that is not a chip. The radius of the area in question (especially as shown in the 2nd pic) looks far too even to be a "chip". It looks to me like a cast-in feature; what it's for, I couldn't tell you. I don't see any evidence of cracks around the bore for the shift rail, or along the large radius of the questionable area. I personally would clean the gasket surface in that area real well, and inspect very carefully for crack indications. DO NOT USE HEAVY ABRASIVES to clean the area, they will "flow" the metal and mask any cracks. You can use a 3M surface conditioning disc in a die grinder to clean it; use "medium" and a light touch, and STOP once the gasket crap is gone. If there's no cracks, I say run it.

This is just my 2 cents of course; I really can't tell much without seeing it real-time.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

it looks like there is lots of contact serface for the gaskit, so i wouldent worry about it.

but i wouldent think to weld someing back in, the case is cast welding and cast really dont mix, ( well unless you heat the whole thing in an oven then experancely weld it with nickel rods)

i would just use some of the blue rtv gaskit crap in ther if it is not for oil flow, or if your really worryed and want meatle brase it in best bet.:wattogo:

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That's normal.
    mine was the same way.
    Seal it back up and motor on

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thanks!

I appreciate all the good advice from everyone that posted, thanks for your insight! :bow:

I'll get it cleaned up, checked for cracks, if good will put in a full kit and go. It just suprised me to find something like that on a mating surface near a shaft bore. I'm glad I asked though. :waytogo:

11. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    It's not "Normal" to say that all 205's have this, however I wouldnt be surprised if new process gear had more than a few flaws in making these cases from one time to another. In all the 205's we've rebuilt, I've never seen that particular anomaly.

I'd clean the case real well, check for wear on the gears, and check the magnet at the bottom. If everything looks ok, fear not...Run it.

-Kyle

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Item number: 7949923019

Okay, here's something interesting. Check out eBay Item# 7949923019 NP-205 Case Housing.

If you look closely you will see the same notch next to the shift rail bore as I have pictured on my original thread. Either it's an unparalleled coincidence or just the way the case was cast by New Process.

It's worth bringing up again just so you can see it.