Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP 205 Shift Seal Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5bushhog, Jun 16, 2001.

1. k5bushhog

k5bushhog Registered Member

Hope you folks arent getting irate at me for all the rookie questions, what is the best way to remove and replace the shifter seals on the NP205 transfer case. My seals are leaking and I have the new seals and am wanting to do it but I dont want to jump into it before I ask.....Thanks

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Good question! I haven't done this, but I am planning to scan the overhaul chapter for Keith (post regarding 205 manuals). If you want a copy, just say yes...
    JB

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You will have to remove the shift rails from the case. There are roll pins that hold the rails to the shift forks. There are two plugs pressed in to the top of the case that allow access to use a pin punch to drive the roll pins out. The roll pins and the plugs (you just drive them through into the case) will end up inside the case in the bottom, and you will have to remove one of the covers to retrieve them. Basically requires complete disassembly of the case. When I rebuilt mine, I also had to replace the shift rails since they had deep grooves where the seals normally sit when the case is in 2HI.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Ditto Blazer1970. I rebuilt my transfer case and replaced the seals at that time. FWIW, there are also detent balls and springs (held in by screwed-in plugs) on the shifter rails that must be removed before removing the rails.

5. k5bushhog

k5bushhog Registered Member

Jungleboy, I would very much appreciate a copy of the overhaul manual, if its not too much trouble.......Thanks to all that have replied to my postings.....