Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP-205 slips between 2WH and 4WH

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, May 19, 2005.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

My NP-205 T Case has no positive detents between 2WH and 4WH. When dirivng on rough roads in 2WH the shifter will creep and it will shift into 4WH by its self.

Shifting into 4WLow, T Case Netural and into 2WH there are positive detents you can feel. Between 2WH and 4WH its a smooth shift, no detents felt.

Any idea whats wrong and what is the repair.

Thanks
    Paul

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Shifter detents are handled by the spring/ball that is held into the case with plugs. Remove those, there is no shift effort.

I can't think of any other reason why you wouldn't feel the detents except a problem with the ball or spring. If anything, the spring broke or the plug came loose.

3. ks2krpt

Is there more than one Ball/Spring

Without going down to the shop tonight, is there more than one spring/ball, meaning one spring/ball that would handle 4Wlow and T Case Netural and another Ball/spring that would handle 2Wh and 4WH ?

Thanks
    Paul

4. dyeager535

I *believe* there is one for each rail.

I can't be totally certain, I'm not at home looking at one, I just know that the switch that handles the 4wd light replaces the piece that keeps the spring and ball in place for at least one of the rails.

5. ks2krpt

Thank You

Ok, thanks. So if that 4wd light switch spring/ball is bad there would be no detent on the 2wd to 4wd. I hope its that easy.

Thanks for the help
    Paul

6. dyeager535

Just checked an older case I have lying around, there IS a spring/ball for each shift rail.

7. ks2krpt

Fixed

Thanks for all the info. The 4wd indiacator light switch which is also the detent spring and ball had a broken spring and tip of the switch. A friend put me onto a freind of a friend who had a new switch and spring and ball. Replaced all 3 parts and the T case now has positive detent between 2wh and 4 wh.

Many thanks for the tips

Paul